• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I have a larceny warrant issued after the stolen property has been returned?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwhyt323

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Can I have a larceny warrant issued after the stolen property has been returned?

Can I have a warrant revoked if I am the one who had it issued?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Can I have a warrant revoked if I am the one who had it issued?
Based on what you are posting? No. You do not have the "power" to do any of that. Unless you are the D.A.? Are you the D.A.? Nope. If you are the D.A. you would know the answer to this question!! (I HOPE!!! :eek: )

jwhyt323

Based on what you are posting? No. You do not have the "power" to do any of that. Unless you are the D.A.? Are you the D.A.? Nope. If you are the D.A. you would know the answer to this question!! (I HOPE!!! :eek: )
Allow me to clarify, I had property stolen, I have a case and they said they will issue a warrant. The person who stole my property has said they will return it, if they do can I still have the warrant issued considering they are still guilty of larceny (it's through the magistrate, not the D.A.)?

Last edited:

CdwJava

The prosecutor decides on criminal charges in most instances. You, as the victim, may have a great deal of influence with the prosecutor, but you'll have to talk to the prosecutor to know what he might consider. At this point, the prosecution decision is out of your hands.

Understand that if you enter into this agreement and the warrant is recalled and charges dropped, and the thief decides not to return the item, you will almost certainly be out of luck to try and prosecute later. Also, it is likely that any future thefts you might be the victim of will stand idle in a report somewhere rather than actively investigated. Law enforcement and prosecutors take a dim view of going through the time, effort, and expense to investigate and pursue charges only to have the victim go sideways on them.

jwhyt323

Can someone issue a warrent over stolen property if I have returned it?

Allow me to rephrase this one more time in hopes to get a straight answer:

If I stole someone's stuff and then returned it, can a larceny warrant still be issued after the stolen property is returned?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

If I stole someone's stuff and then returned it, can a larceny warrant still be issued after the stolen property is returned?
What was unclear about CdwJava's post?

The simple fact of the matter (as CdwJava pointed out) is that it's out of your hands. Yes, a warrant can still be issued.

Silverplum

So now YOU stole the stuff. ;)

Yes, a warrant can be issued: the stuff WAS stolen. What happened after the crime is irrelevant to the fact that a crime occurred.

jwhyt323

Thank you!

What was unclear about CdwJava's post?

The simple fact of the matter (as CdwJava pointed out) is that it's out of your hands. Yes, a warrant can still be issued.
I didn't steal anything, this is all hypothetical. I just wanted to know if someone stole my stuff and returned it, if I still have room to get them in trouble or if it was too late. This is my first time involved in ANYTHING legal so pardon my ignorance.

Thank you Zinger, Silverplum & CdwJava

CdwJava

Yes. The theft occurred whether or not you chose to return it. If the victim chooses not to report it to the police, then no charges will be filed as the police will not know about it.

CdwJava

I didn't steal anything, this is all hypothetical. I just wanted to know if someone stole my stuff and returned it, if I still have room to get them in trouble or if it was too late. This is my first time involved in ANYTHING legal so pardon my ignorance.
If someone steals your stuff and returns it AFTER you called the police, you can contact the police and inform them that the property has been returned and you don't want to do anything more about it. Chances are they will then drop the matter. But, if it has already gone to the DA or even gone to an arrest warrant, then the odds of stopping it that easily diminish at each step.

LdiJ

If someone steals your stuff and returns it AFTER you called the police, you can contact the police and inform them that the property has been returned and you don't want to do anything more about it. Chances are they will then drop the matter. But, if it has already gone to the DA or even gone to an arrest warrant, then the odds of stopping it that easily diminish at each step.
And then of course there is the whole backstory part of the situation as well.

Just Blue

Thank you Zinger, Silverplum & CdwJava
Please ask an attorney, that you pay, to deal with "hypothetical" . Thanks!! ;)

CdwJava

And then of course there is the whole backstory part of the situation as well.
Well, the police may not care too much about the backstory ... but, that depends on who the parties are and how well known they are to the local constabulary.

Peter Mark

Yes, the larceny warrant can be issued for stolen property you didn't complete the entire process legally. If you have no idea about larceny warrant get consult with an experienced attorney to solve your issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">