• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I leave the state with a pending felony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaitee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

So I have a felony for simple possession, which is pending court and what not. I also have a lawyer, who I hired. We talked about 2 months ago, and he assured it, it would be dropped. He says Ill probably have to do community service, but probably not even that. Since its my 1st time being charged with anything like this.

The question now is, I am moving out of state to live with my girlfriend which I am planning on flying out soon. Is this illegal? How would I go upon this situation? When I call my lawyer what would I say or ask?

If its not possible let me know. If it is possible what steps do I need to do?

If i have to I will cancel my flight.

ERAUPIKE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

So I have a felony for simple possession, which is pending court and what not. I also have a lawyer, who I hired. We talked about 2 months ago, and he assured it, it would be dropped. He says Ill probably have to do community service, but probably not even that. Since its my 1st time being charged with anything like this.

The question now is, I am moving out of state to live with my girlfriend which I am planning on flying out soon. Is this illegal? How would I go upon this situation? When I call my lawyer what would I say or ask?

If its not possible let me know. If it is possible what steps do I need to do?

If i have to I will cancel my flight.
Moving out of state or even just leaving the state could result in the forfeiture of your bond and additional charges.

FlyingRon

You definitely should look at the conditions of your bond.

Further, if you have to do community service or something, it sounds like the charges are not being "dropped." You're probably going to be on probation which may also constrain your ability to move/travel.

But since you're already paying him, why don't you ask your lawyer to interpret the legal issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">