• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I still file a civil suit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raiyab

An unfortunate crime took place in 2003 in CA, where I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Long story short, I was attacked by a man at a night club. He broke my nose by punching me in the face numerous times. Both myself and witnesses selected him through a line up. Through many court precedings, he took a deal and pleaded guilty. At the time, I was much younger, traumatized and embarrassed by the whole incident. I wanted the entire episode to disappear, so when he pleaded guilty I tried to forget what happened. I never filed a civil suit to sue him for damages and suffering. My new job wouldnt let me start at the time, and I lost relationships b/c of this event. Well, now through many visits through the doctors, both psychiatry and primary care, I realize that that day has effected my life more than I realized. Apperently, I am still very traumatized. What are the time limits for filing a civil suit for damages and pain/suffering? Would I even have a case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">