• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a Judge do that?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbb87

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I'm asking this for someone who is mentally ill.

The person was appointed a lawyer by a judge. Then the person was charged with another crime in relation to the first crime. Since the second crime carries jail time, the person was appointed another lawyer and a Guardian Ad Litem. The Guardian is the first lawyer.

We have three problems with this.

1) The Guardian Ad Litem is not qualified (according to state website) to be a Guardian Ad Litem for an adult. She is qualified to be a guardian for a child. Is it legal for the judge to appoint this woman to be a Guardian Ad Litem for an adult?

2) The first case has to do with Real Estate. The judge appointed a lawyer that practices Family Law (and it shows). This lady does not seem to know the laws regarding this case and hasn't been helpful at all. Shouldn't the judge have appointed a lawyer who practices Real Estate law?

3) When the person tried to hire his own lawyer, the judge wouldn't allow it. The judge said something about it being too confusing to the person. Can a judge do that?What is the name of your state?

BL

What did the Lawyer that was attempting to be hired say ?

Have you contacted any agencies for the Mentally disabled .

How about Adult protective agency , for one ?

lbb87

Blonde Lebinese said:
What did the Lawyer that was attempting to be hired say ?
I never had the opportunity to talk to him. I'll see if I can find out his thoughts on the matter but I doubt I'll get anywhere with that.

Blonde Lebinese said:
Have you contacted any agencies for the Mentally disabled .
How about Adult protective agency , for one ?
The man has contacted numerous agencies for the disabled, including the Department of Justice. But the reasons for contacting them were not about his lawyers or guardians. They were more about the case and that the man feels he's being discriminated against due to his disability.
I don't feel he's being discriminated against because of his disability. He's been given exceptions to the rules on several occasions. I do feel like the courts, county attorney, and county employees are comitting illegal acts in dealing with him. It's all very complicated.

Do you feel there is something wrong with what the Judge has done? I've gotten the feeling all along that something is fishy. But since I'm not familiar with how the courts work, I can't be sure as to if everything is being done legally.

BL

Judges do have a wide rang of Discretion .
Even if The Judge Abused his discretion , it would have to be ruled so on an appeal .

I've never heard of a Defendant not being allowed to hire their own Lawyer . Contact the Lawyer Again and get some answers . There should be motions and such He/She could make to the Court .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">