• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can law enforcement choose who to pick up when they have a warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilmonkiesmama

What is the name of your state? oklahoma

ok, so i go to court monday morning well actually i AM going, dont have to lol but anyways...another person that is going to be there has an active warrant against her back from 2000 i think it was....well anyways i called the county the warrant is from and they said (sheriffe's office) because it was a misdemeanor warrant (obtaining merchandise by means of bogus checks) and only has a $500 bond that they will more than likely not come pick her up. So ok i was bummed, but while talking to the assistant of the judge on the case (who talked to judge on my behalf about me going to court and situation) i told her about other person having a warrant and what the county sheriffe's office said, she not so much ADVISED me lol but hinted i needed to call the local sheriffe where court was being held. ok so i did, they i guess took down her name, then asked about the county and i told them then i told them i called that county and what they said, she then told me well if they won't come this way to get here we wont take her into custody because we don't transport!!!!!!!! which i then said again even though i was advised by a court official to call you so you would be aware?!?!?! that was end of conversation. so i understand that they don't want to drive out of their way to come get here on perhaps something minor but she has not paid these fees or anything on it there is still a balance owed!!! i didn't realize they can pick and choose who to arrest because of convenience for the law enforcement...... i personally don't think it's right that she can be IN COURT with an active warrant and walk right out with no problem...that the only time she will serve her time or be made to pay is if she is in that specific county and gets pulled over or something like that....anyone know how often this happens and if there is anything that can be done to get around it?!?!

CdwJava

A warrant has to be confirmed before it can be served. If the issuing agency is not going to arrange for extradition, then the warrant cannot be confirmed. Many warrants are going to be local warrants where they will simply sit until served in that county or right next door.

- Carl

lilmonkiesmama

CdwJava said:
A warrant has to be confirmed before it can be served. If the issuing agency is not going to arrange for extradition, then the warrant cannot be confirmed. Many warrants are going to be local warrants where they will simply sit until served in that county or right next door.

- Carl
well that is what i thought, but was hoping otherwise lol but did want to ask to get a clear response since court is bright and early monday morning...guess all i can do is hope she goes somewhere in that county or near and makes a mistake lol thanks for the reply i can call of the hounds that ask me on a daily basis what i have heard, thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">