• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Local Police Suspend My License And Plates For Not Appearing At A Meeting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dreamshadow

What is the name of your state?ILLinois. Yesterday on 08/12/05 I received this letter from the Chicago Police Major Accident Investigation Unit.
" A complaint has been made that your vehicle was involved in an incident on 08/04/05. It is therefore requested that you and/or the person driving your vehicle on this day appear in person at ------- on 08/12/05 7:30 a.m.

Please bring a valid drivers license, proof of insurance and any related documents to this appointment. An inspection of your vehicle will be conducted at the time of your appointment.

Failure to respond to this notice could result in the suspesion of your drivers license and state license plates. An arrest warrant may be issued"

1) I have not been in any accident major or otherwise since 2000.
2) I have NO idea what this is about.
3) Due to a temporary financial problem I have been forced to cancel my insurance and to drive my vehicle in for this appointment would be breaking the law.
4)I do not live in Chicago and I live roughly 35-40 miles away from where I'm supposed to go.

My question is this: can the Chicago Police suspend my license and plates and issue a warrent for my arrest if I do not respond in person this morning?
Due I need a lawyer present if I do appear this morning or in the future?

ANY help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Sincerely,
One confused worried and sleepless person :(

JETX

dreamshadow said:
can the Chicago Police suspend my license and plates and issue a warrent for my arrest if I do not respond in person this morning?
No, the PD can't. However, they can ask the DMV to do so. They are clearly investigating a 'hit and run' accident report. Your failure to present yourself could lead to suspension of your driving PRIVILEDGE.

Due I need a lawyer present if I do appear this morning or in the future?
You shouldn't even need to ask that if you really had nothing to be concerned about.

Bottom line: You appearance is requested. If you refuse, you face the consequences of their response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">