• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my testimony get me arrested?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pammenator

What is the name of your state? NJ

I have to testify tomorrow against the owner of a liquor store who sold to me while i was a minor. In fact, the only reason why I was not arrested for attempting to purchase alcohol with a fake ID was because i agreed to testify. But, in the process of testifying, can my actions be held against me, resulting in my own arrest?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

pammenator said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

I have to testify tomorrow against the owner of a liquor store who sold to me while i was a minor. In fact, the only reason why I was not arrested for attempting to purchase alcohol with a fake ID was because i agreed to testify. But, in the process of testifying, can my actions be held against me, resulting in my own arrest?
Q: But, in the process of testifying, can my actions be held against me, resulting in my own arrest?

A: What does your agreement say? Make sure it says that you will not be charged, arrested, whatever, for what you testify to concerning the liquor store deal. (If you get on the stand and confess to murder, that would be different.)

In any event, if the language in the agreement is not clear and plain, tell the prosecutor to rewrite it till you understand what it means.

seniorjudge

Q: Will I have an oppurtunity to make such an agreement with the prosecutor before I testify?

A: MAKE an opportunity to make such an agreement with the prosecutor before you testify.

pammenator

Testimony agreements

I see... you suggest finding the judge first and talking to him, or saying it on the stand? For example, I will not proceed with my testimony until I am assured that nothing I say will be held against me.

gawm

pammenator said:
I see... you suggest finding the judge first and talking to him, or saying it on the stand? For example, I will not proceed with my testimony until I am assured that nothing I say will be held against me.
Tell the prosecutor you want complete immunity from your testimony or you will plea the 5th. Have it in writing.

seniorjudge

pammenator said:
I never said anything remotely like this; re-read my post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">