• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can officers of the law do this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kravenz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? south carolina

can cops drive up and down the streets of a residential neighborhood and check the license plates of all the cars (some of the cars are parked with their license plates facing opposite to the street) and issue warnings\tickets?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

can cops drive up and down the streets of a residential neighborhood and check the license plates of all the cars (some of the cars are parked with their license plates facing opposite to the street) and issue warnings\tickets?
Yes they can. Why would you think otherwise?

kravenz

because i don't like to believe in stereotypes, but this is something a stereotypical "pig" would do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To me, the stereotypical scofflaw would leave their improperly registered vehicle on the street in violation of the law. Also, the stereotypical crook is stupid enough to park his/her car in public, thus allowing him/herself to be discovered and captured.

Darn stereotypes.

tranquility

The police have a right to be in public places and look around to ferret out crime. That's what we pay them for.

LdiJ

Most cops would have neither the time nor inclination to do that unless there have been lots of complaints in the neighborhood.

They do that all the time, we dont like it, but its done. They are just being the tax collectors they are paid to be. Hell, they got to get funding from somewhere with that mad man in office

CdwJava

Yes, they can. Though they should only be able to issue tickets to those vehicles that are in violation of some statute.

CdwJava

because i don't like to believe in stereotypes, but this is something a stereotypical "pig" would do.
Really?

What is a "stereotypical pig"? (When I Google the terms I get images of ... uh ... pigs. And a few rednecks.)

If by the term you refer to officers enforcing local parking ordinances (i.e. the law), then I guess that would be something they would do. Or, perhaps, the "stereotypical pigs" are the scofflaws that feel they can violate the law and have a right to get away with it.

What, exactly, were you cited for?

CdwJava

They do that all the time, we dont like it, but its done. They are just being the tax collectors they are paid to be. Hell, they got to get funding from somewhere with that mad man in office
Yeah ... I'm sure the officer with the most parking tickets gets a microwave at the end of the month! :rolleyes:

The best way to cut the man off from his funding, then, might be to ..<gasp> obey the law! :eek:

Yeah ... I'm sure the officer with the most parking tickets gets a microwave at the end of the month! :rolleyes:

The best way to cut the man off from his funding, then, might be to ..<gasp> obey the law! :eek:
I think you may have gotten the wrong idea from my attempt at humor. First of all I know the police do not get incentives for writing tickets. The city makes laws, if an officer sees someone in violation it is his duty to write the ticket. Second, the money collected from the citizens(sounds like taxes) go towards funding city services, including the police force...not the man...policemen and woman are hard working people like myself.... The city does infact need that money tho, and they count on people not obeying the law to collect that money. If the city notices a drop in the amount of revenue being collected, they put pressure on the police department to write more tickets..during these times police will go above and beyond to write that ticket, because the city demands it..

CdwJava

I cannot speak for places like South Carolina, but out here we tend to have fewer officers than we did one, two, even five years ago. That means fewer people to perform even essential services. Parking enforcement just ain't on our radar screen. Now, that could be the case in the OP's town ... maybe parking cites are big moneymakers. However, consider this ...

Parking cites effect the locals. The locals get ticked if they get nitpicked all the time and this means angry calls, letters, and council meetings. In those states where moving tickets make money, this can be done to people passing through who are NOT locals. That means that such moving violations can collect politically safe revenue, whereas parking cites would come with a risk of political fallout. Now, this isn't true everywhere, and in places like CA where we make diddly on movers and actually make a few dollars on parking cites, if the city is not afraid of the political fallout they could go for parking cites. But, then, we lack the officers to do basic enforcement services, so having the bodies to write parking cites on a massive scale is simply out of the question.

While parking is a potential source of some revenue, the staffing in most police agencies does not make it a prudent or effective use of limited resources unless there is a mandate by a particular community to engage in it. In my town, we had a few years where the local business community sought parking enforcement to keep vehicles from parking downtown all day taking up space. Now that business have closed downtown, the local businesses have reversed themselves and petitioned for the removal of timed parking which had generated a number of citations over the past few years ... though not nearly enough to even pay for more than a few reams of paper for the office ... if we were able to access it out of the General Fund at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">