• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Palmer,Reifler and Associates collect restitution after the case is settled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

az316068

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Phoenix, Arizona

Hi, I committed a theft while working for a large jewelry retailer in Arizona in 2008; the retail amount stolen was about $1200.00. I was convicted, and sentenced to eighteen months of probation. During the pre-sentence hearing, the victim “XYZ Jewelers” was contacted by the court and asked if any restitution was due. In my pre-sentence report the loss prevention representative stated that no restitution was necessary because all merchandise was recovered. Now over a year later, after I have been released from probation I receive a letter from Palmer, Reifler and Associates, stating that they are representing “XYZ Jewelers” and that because the merchandise was not recovered they are asking that I pay over $16,000 in civil restitution. How is this possible? Is this legal?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

The civil matter is separate from the criminal one. Yes, they can attempt to collect. But, if you really have something in writing from the store management stating that no restitution is due, you may have an easy case to win.

Consult legal counsel.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">