• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can police break in my house without a warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

landguy

the neighbors called 911 because they thought they heard arguing. the police knocked on the door and rang the bell, we didn't answer they then waited 5 minutes and kicked the door down. What makes them have the right to do that? What if We were actually ...real loud.

Last edited by a moderator:

tigger22472

They had probable cause to break down the door for the fear that someone was in danger. There had recently been a report of someone yelling and so it was obvious that someone was home or at been there within the last little bit. By not answering the door you gave them reason to suspect someone could be hurt or dying....

landguy

be for real

how did they know i wasn't yelling at the T.v..like i always do.. and in the shower when they knocked on my door. cmon they didn't know who was in the house.

landguy

so your saying i dont have the right to yell in my own house for fear of the police busting down my door? I guess i don't have as many rights as i thought.

landguy

It sounds like they kicked in my door for disturbing the peace, never heard of such a thing. did i mention i'm in the united states, michigan, america, freedom

So if a neighbor reports a woman screaming next door to the police and they come to the scene they are supposed to knock politely and then just leave if no one answers... Yeah that would look really good for the X number of times it turns out to be a woman being raped and murdered. Maybe next time you should answer the door or pay attention to how loud you are (even in your own home). There are noise ordinance laws you know.

R

runninandrunnin

This one is funny

He didnt answer the door because he was hiding for some reason.

He didnt answer the door because he didnt want to, and didnt have to.

This one is funny!

CdwJava

landguy said:
It sounds like they kicked in my door for disturbing the peace, never heard of such a thing. did i mention i'm in the united states, michigan, america, freedom
What were you arrested for?

If the police have probable cause to believe that there is a danger to life and property they may force entry. This is one of the exceptions to the warrant requirement.

Think of it this way ... they receive a report of a loud fight at your house ... neighbor says you are still there ... police come to the door and there is no answer ... they shrug and walk away ... later, someone finds you and/or your spouse/significant other dead ... ya think the police are NOT going to get criticized?!

If an exigency existed, they had the right to force entry.

What were your charges?

- Carl

tigger22472

CdwJava said:
What were you arrested for?

If the police have probable cause to believe that there is a danger to life and property they may force entry. This is one of the exceptions to the warrant requirement.

Think of it this way ... they receive a report of a loud fight at your house ... neighbor says you are still there ... police come to the door and there is no answer ... they shrug and walk away ... later, someone finds you and/or your spouse/significant other dead ... ya think the police are NOT going to get criticized?!

If an exigency existed, they had the right to force entry.

What were your charges?

- Carl
Carl,

I have a question... if the police do 'break down your door' like this poster said and they saw for instance drugs can he be arrested on the spot for that and the drugs be taken as evidence, even though there wasn't a warrant.

(and before anyone asks... my house isn't full of drugs nor do I expect the police to have to break down my door.... just asking for the legal knowledge :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">