• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a police dog be brought in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luckygrl11900

What is the name of your state? connecticut
recently at my boyfriends house his dad was trying to commit suiside so his mother called 911 for an ambalance. The police showed up as expected but brought a police dog in the house which was barking at everyone. the dog tried to go after my b/f's father and his brother tried to push his away. the police officer grabbed his brother by the neck and pushed him to the floor and arressed him for interfering with a police officer. then the dog went on the bite his father. when asked if the dog could be removed from the house the police officer went on to yell and say to get out of the way. when his brother was arrested he was never read his rights and was still questioned at the station. is this legal? also is it legal that the dog was brought in to the house when there was no reason for him to be there? we were just trying to get help to get his dad to a hospital. Was any of this nessasary to happen?

H

hexeliebe

And just HOW was his dad trying to commit suicide? By gun? By Knife? By cop?

Listen lady, a police officer MUST respond to an attempted suicide. Bringing a dog along in most jurisdictions when the situation is unknown, is standard procedure, not only to protect the officer, but to diffuse the situation with a minimal loss of life.

The fact that someone interferred with the dog (a police agent) and only got arrested is testiment to restraint. he could have been killed for his stupidity.

As for being read his rights. As we've said here more than 1,000 times, quit watching police dramas on tv. A suspect must ONLY be read his rights IF his questioning is to be used against him in court.

And how do you know he wasn't read his rights before being questions since you were not in the room at the time? Ya, I know "HE TOLD ME".

You're lucky someone wasn't killed for his stupidity.

P

PrefersPrivacy

Yes, it's legal. A K-9 dog is, for all intents and purposes, considered to be a police officer.

The procedure regarding Miranda warnings has been softened in recent court opinions. In general, if a person under arrest asserts his right to have an attorney present, any interrogation must cease. If the person willingly answers questions, all bets are off.

The arrest, as you describe it, sounds legal. Interfering with official police business is always an arrestable offense. Good luck.

PP

L

luckygrl11900

as for how his dad was trying to kill him self he took 14 tranqualizers and tried to jump through a window the dog was never comanded to do anything to anyone and just went after anyone he could the officers were asked to remove the dog from the house after everyone was arrested who were going to be and they wouldnt. we have a 4 month old puppy and a 1 year old dog in the house and there was no need for the other dog to be there any more. as for the brothers rights read to him...it did not happen. there is no need to be all snotty saying that "HE SAID SO" this kid is never in trouble and would never lie. Sorry that im new to this site as of yesterday and didnt read all the posts to see about the rights. Im on here to just find out some information not to treated like im an idiot hexeliebe. There is much liability for bringing a police dog into a house. I have since found out from other police officers that it was unnessacary for it to be brought in. When 911 was informed of what was going on it was clear that there were no weapons involved and they new exactly what was going on it was not "UNCLEAR" to them so i dont see the sense of why 8 police officers where brought in. his father now looks as though he was in a fight do to all the brusing and bite marks on him. For a person who tried to kill himself the police sure didnt do anything to try to make him feel any better. Police should be there to help make a situation better not worse as they did in this case. This family is not very wealthy and in this neighborhood the police are always around making situtions worse and dont help with things that need to be taken care of. I cant think of a time i have seen a cop around here be polite to anyone even if its as simple as asking a question. I never had an "issue" with officers before but since moving into this town im not very sure what my outlook on them is anymore. PP thanks for the respond. I understand why the brother was arrested it just seems they went to unessacary messures when they arrested him by throwing him by his neck to the ground and pinning him down when he was NOT resisting arrest at all. I was there to see all this happen so this is not just what he has said. Thanks for you imput though...were just waiting now to see whats going on with the charges :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">