• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the police get a search warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

equi3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My ex and I broke up recently. When we were together, he had moved some of his things to a storage unit I rented, as we did not have a garage where we lived. During the fight leading up to the break up, he broke my computer, my TV, and a few other electronics that belonged to me. I am in the process of suing him, but he claims he never broke anything and that I broke them myself so I could sue him out of spite. This is infuriating, as I would not smash a $1500 TV I had worked so hard to buy just so I could take him to court.

My ex is now demanding that I give him back his stuff in my storage unit. I have not answered his calls or text messages, and now he is threatening to get the police involved. Yes, I understand that I should just give him his stuff and move on. Please don't be redundant and point this out. The only reason I have not given him his things back is because he damaged over $3000 worth of personal property and refuses to own up to his actions.

My question is... if he goes to the police and says his stuff is in my storage unit, what will the police do? I have been told by a couple friends I had discussed this with that they may contact me for permission to search my storage unit, but if I don't give them permission, they can't do anything. However, can they still get a search warrant if my ex told them that I have his things and am refusing to give them to him? Again, I have not talked to my ex. I have been ignoring him and would like to know if the police will take action should I continue to ignore him.

EDIT: Can the company I rent my storage unit from give the police access to my storage unit without my permission???

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My ex and I broke up recently. When we were together, he had moved some of his things to a storage unit I rented, as we did not have a garage where we lived. During the fight leading up to the break up, he broke my computer, my TV, and a few other electronics that belonged to me. I am in the process of suing him, but he claims he never broke anything and that I broke them myself so I could sue him out of spite. This is infuriating, as I would not smash a $1500 TV I had worked so hard to buy just so I could take him to court.

My ex is now demanding that I give him back his stuff in my storage unit. I have not answered his calls or text messages, and now he is threatening to get the police involved. Yes, I understand that I should just give him his stuff and move on. Please don't be redundant and point this out. The only reason I have not given him his things back is because he damaged over $3000 worth of personal property and refuses to own up to his actions.

My question is... if he goes to the police and says his stuff is in my storage unit, what will the police do? I have been told by a couple friends I had discussed this with that they may contact me for permission to search my storage unit, but if I don't give them permission, they can't do anything. However, can they still get a search warrant if my ex told them that I have his things and am refusing to give them to him? Again, I have not talked to my ex. I have been ignoring him and would like to know if the police will take action should I continue to ignore him.

EDIT: Can the company I rent my storage unit from give the police access to my storage unit without my permission???
Your ex can file a police report regarding his stuff that you are keeping. You really want to be a petty spiteful child, don't you? Give him his stuff back. Oh that is being redundant? Better than acting like an immature child. Acting immaturely could lead someone to believe that you went on a smashing spree when he left you just so you could sue him. And yes it is possible they could search your storage unit and get a search warrant. Especially if ex says you are a little thief.

anearthw

Yes, it is possible, although it is unlikely that the police will get involved with this childish crap.

Just FYI - you asked:
. I am in the process of suing him, but he claims he never broke anything and that I broke them myself so I could sue him out of spite. This is infuriating, as I would not smash a $1500 TV I had worked so hard to buy just so I could take him to court.

Well, yes, a person who would withhold someone's belongings ILLEGALLY, might be very prone to smash their own stuff and sue out of spite. You do realize that you could easily walk out of court without getting payment for your destroyed property AND have to pay him or return his property?

How much money do you want to blow to teach him a lesson?

equi3

Your ex can file a police report regarding his stuff that you are keeping. You really want to be a petty spiteful child, don't you? Give him his stuff back. Oh that is being redundant? Better than acting like an immature child. Acting immaturely could lead someone to believe that you went on a smashing spree when he left you just so you could sue him. And yes it is possible they could search your storage unit and get a search warrant. Especially if ex says you are a little thief.
This is why I'm not even going to take your "advice" seriously lol. I didn't give the details of the break up, because it's irrelevant but since you would like to assume that he left me, let me clarify for you that I was the one to suggest to him that we should take a break from each other and that he had 30 days to move out, as his name was never on the lease. Him getting kicked out led to the rampage that caused my property to get damaged. Again, I'm not going to take your joke of a post seriously. :)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is why I'm not even going to take your "advice" seriously lol. I didn't give the details of the break up, because it's irrelevant but since you would like to assume that he left me, let me clarify for you that I was the one to suggest to him that we should take a break from each other and that he had 30 days to move out, as his name was never on the lease. Him getting kicked out led to the rampage that caused my property to get damaged. Again, I'm not going to take your joke of a post seriously. :)
Yes he left you. He left your house. He left his stuff with you. HE PHYSICALLY LEFT YOU.

And you didn't give him proper move out notice.
The joke here by the way is you, little spiteful vengeful child. He can claim you stole the items and placed them in a storage unit at xyz. The police can get a search warrant. If they find the items, you can be arrested and charged with a crime. You might even spend some time in jail until your name can be cleared.

equi3

Yes, it is possible, although it is unlikely that the police will get involved with this childish crap.

Just FYI - you asked:
. I am in the process of suing him, but he claims he never broke anything and that I broke them myself so I could sue him out of spite. This is infuriating, as I would not smash a $1500 TV I had worked so hard to buy just so I could take him to court.

Well, yes, a person who would withhold someone's belongings ILLEGALLY, might be very prone to smash their own stuff and sue out of spite. You do realize that you could easily walk out of court without getting payment for your destroyed property AND have to pay him or return his property?

How much money do you want to blow to teach him a lesson?
I'd have to disagree. A crazy person may be prone to smashing $3000 worth of their personal property so they could sue out of spite.

Not giving someone their stuff back because you want to be reimbursed for the damage they caused is a perfectly sane person's train of thought.

Here's some food for thought. You tell someone you would like to take a break from your relationship and tell them they have 30 days to move. They don't like the idea of getting kicked out so they break your stuff before leaving. You ask them to reimburse you for the damaged property and they refuse to. Now they ask you to give them their stuff. Hmm... as a perfectly sane person, what would your reaction be? Just cut the BS and be real lol.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'd have to disagree. A crazy person may be prone to smashing $3000 worth of their personal property so they could sue out of spite.

Not giving someone their stuff back because you want to be reimbursed for the damage they caused is a perfectly sane person's train of thought.

Here's some food for thought. You tell someone you would like to take a break from your relationship and tell them they have 30 days to move. They don't like the idea of getting kicked out so they break your stuff before leaving. You ask them to reimburse you for the damaged property and they refuse to. Now they ask you to give them their stuff. Hmm... as a perfectly sane person, what would your reaction be? Just cut the BS and be real lol.
You are full of BS. The courts could look at this as you committing a crime. Why? Because you think you are so smart and sane and lovely. You aren't. You are a vengeful CHILD who doesn't understand anything about the law. The police can search your storage unit. They can even get an arrest warrant for you for refusing to return stuff that you admit is NOT YOURS. You could be charged with theft. And depending on how much the stuff is worth -- a FELONY.

equi3

Yes he left you. He left your house. He left his stuff with you. HE PHYSICALLY LEFT YOU.

And you didn't give him proper move out notice.
The joke here by the way is you, little spiteful vengeful child. He can claim you stole the items and placed them in a storage unit at xyz. The police can get a search warrant. If they find the items, you can be arrested and charged with a crime. You might even spend some time in jail until your name can be cleared.
Leaving and getting kicked out are two different things. Please, stop making a fool of yourself. Like I said, you've already lost your credibility with the ignorance you blatantly displayed in your first post. And if the police acted on everything people claimed, well jeeze, people would never get traffic citations because the entire police force would be overwhelmed investigating everything people reported.

I guess I answered my own question lol.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Leaving and getting kicked out are two different things. Please, stop making a fool of yourself. Like I said, you've already lost your credibility with the ignorance you blatantly displayed in your first post. And if the police acted on everything people claimed, well jeeze, people would never get traffic citations because the entire police force would be overwhelmed investigating everything people reported.

I guess I answered my own question lol.
Considering you are a moron and I am the one with the law degree, I know more about the law than you can ever hope but continue, child, pretending you have a clue.
Since you feel like acting like a four year old, go get your binky and a sippy cup and continue on your way.

equi3

You are full of BS. The courts could look at this as you committing a crime. Why? Because you think you are so smart and sane and lovely. You aren't. You are a vengeful CHILD who doesn't understand anything about the law. The police can search your storage unit. They can even get an arrest warrant for you for refusing to return stuff that you admit is NOT YOURS. You could be charged with theft. And depending on how much the stuff is worth -- a FELONY.
And I guess because you have 50,000+ posts that you are a veteran of the law. You know what that means? It means you were never good enough to get into law school so you have to troll these forums posting "legal advice" you googled lol. You're only making yourself out to look like an idiot, but hey, it's not my problem.

equi3

Considering you are a moron and I am the one with the law degree, I know more about the law than you can ever hope but continue, child, pretending you have a clue.
Since you feel like acting like a four year old, go get your binky and a sippy cup and continue on your way.
You have a law degree? LOL. You can barely structure a sentence with proper grammar, and I'm supposed to believe you have a degree in law? Yeeeah okay. You do realize this is the internet. Who you claim to be has little weight on cyberspace. Whatever helps you sleep at night :)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
And I guess because you have 50,000+ posts that you are a veteran of the law. You know what that means? It means you were never good enough to get into law school so you have to troll these forums posting "legal advice" you googled lol. You're only making yourself out to look like an idiot, but hey, it's not my problem.
One cannot claim to be an attorney on this board. :cool:

I'm a knowledgeable lay-person.

OG IS an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">