• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the police hack into my email or obtain a warrant that allows them to do that

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weqas1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

if the alleged crime is misdemeanor assault? They wouldn't be searching through my emails to look for evidence of the crime, they would be doing it to locate me. No arrests have been made.

How would they know who my email provider is if the people they might have spoken to (family members) don't know it either? Would they just call my email provider and ask for the information by firstname/lastname?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

if the alleged crime is misdemeanor assault? They wouldn't be searching through my emails to look for evidence of the crime, they would be doing it to locate me. No arrests have been made.

How would they know who my email provider is if the people they might have spoken to (family members) don't know it either? Would they just call my email provider and ask for the information by firstname/lastname?
Dude, you are SO paranoid. You keep asking about how the police can get info on you, if they can search your car, your emails, all of that over a simple misdemeanor assault.

The answer is YES, as long as they have enough probable cause to obtain a search warrant for the evidence to convict you. They can subpoena your family members to get your email provider, and then subpoena your email provider to get your emails. Anything is possible if the evidence is truly worth all the effort.

The question here is WHY? WHY would the police and other authorities be putting this kind of effort into a simple misdemeanor assault charge? Short answer is, if you aren't some big-time criminal, they probably wouldn't, unless they want to use this as a way to get you on a bigger offense.

swalsh411

Perhapes you should consider stopping doing those things which would cause the police to take an interest in you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">