• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can police officers search an impounded car without a warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SimplySasha123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

If a car was towed and impounded, can the police officers search the glove box and trunk without a warrant? The car was impounded, because it was left by the road as I was taken to the hospital. I have no prior convictions. Thank you.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Yes, it's called an inventory search and it is one of the exceptions to the search warrant requirement.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

If a car was towed and impounded, can the police officers search the glove box and trunk without a warrant? The car was impounded, because it was left by the road as I was taken to the hospital. I have no prior convictions. Thank you.
Well ... that depends. If the search was conducted as an inventory of the vehicle PRIOR to the impound, yes. If it was done by law enforcement AFTER the impound (i.e. when it is at the storage yard) then they would have to have articulable probable cause and, usually, a search warrant.

What was found in the car that has you concerned? Drugs?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">