• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can police search locked toolbox in car? (with no key present)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moneymandall18

Michigan
If I give police consent/ if they have probable cause to search my car, and there is a locked toolbox in the trunk (without a key, I keep the key at home), can they still search it. One person told me yes they can but another told me no they must have a warrant.

Can someone verify this please?

Thanks!:)

Last edited:

BOR

Voluntary consent can be withdrawn at any time.

IF they have PC to believe contraband exists in an automobile, under the "automobile exception" to a warrantless search, they can search it, and that includes "closed containers", which means locked also.

Now I am not aware of any US SC ruling on locked containers, just closed, so it would be a matter of state constitutional law/jurisdictional law.

Now we can assume since a trunk is locked it can not be searched, but we can not equate that with a container/box.

BOR

He said he keeps the key at home...So they will let him go get it?
No, a search can be conducted with PC just as if a magistrate had approved a warrant, they do not need a key, they can force it open if he refuses, just as a door/window can be broken down/into when serving a Serach warrant or arrest warrant and no person answers the door.

For example, if a SW/AW is served on a home and the front door is knocked on and the presence announed, officer's at the back door need not knock and announce, there is no seperate requirement. An Auto has a much less expectation of privacy, so the SC's reasoning is, if drugs are found in a tool box in the trunk, it stands to reason the passenger compartment is subject to a warrantless search also.

It is the consensus of most courts that they can open a locked container.

As I stated, I am not aware of any US SC decison that uses the work LOCKED, but as we see in Ross, a landmark decision, it can be containers and packages. Luggage is included, but not mentioned ion Ross though.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0456_0798_ZS.html

However, a stated, a state constitution may afford greater protection based on the individual facts?

BOR

Then who pays the repair or replacement bill on said lockbox (or broken window or door) if nothing (or no one) is found?
That may be a matter or internal police policy and not codified law.

Just as when a person is incarcerated, the 8th AM mandates they receive medical care, then it is up to a state to decide if they are to be paid back.

I have never seen any laws anywhere that mandate the police/govt. pay for any damage, that is not to say it is now out there somewhere though?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">