• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can they change charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

miss t

My dad turned himself in when he found out about a warrant for his arrest (judge let him go on his "own O.R."); A 16 year old boy ran over my dad's mail box and didn't stop. My dad saw him do it and chased him down, and took the boy back to his house. My dad said he didn't assult the boy, but i would seriously have to doubt that he's not guilty. The boys dad filed charges on my dad, Assault and False Imprisonment.
What would constitute charging my dad with CHILD ABUSE in this case? Does it have to be your own child to be concidered child abuse? CAN the judge or prosecuting attorney change the charges from assault to child abuse after assault charges have already been filed?
Are they treating this 16 yr old as an adult (even tho the boys father pressed the charges on my dad)?
What would be a likely sentence in this type of case?
I am hopeing they will at least order him to go to Anger Management Classes - Is this likely?
Any comments welcome.
Thank you! Miss T

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">