• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they come get me from another state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PhL0aTeR

I'm in Texas, got a ticket in arizona doing 98. I wont go into detail about this unless its needed however the point is, im contesting it and to contest it ive got to waste time, money, time off from work to go back and contest it and STILL may not be dismissed, i can pay the 350 dollar fine and inflated insurance rates for the next 3 years or i can just not go back to arizona. Is that last choice a viable one? can a texas peace officer pull me over for speeding or another violation and find i have an arrest warrant for me in arizona? Thanx

H

hexeliebe

of course you can ignore this

not pay the inflated insurance premiums and look behind you whenever you are on the same road as the Texax Police.

But when your driver's license is due for renewal and you pass the eye test go up to the clerk and give her your application, your old license, your money and see what happens.

and when she tells you she can't issue a new license until you've satisfied your traffic fine in Arizona come back here and ask what you can do about it?

The answer will be the same, Pay the fine.

by the way, in case you wonder how I know this it was 1982 and the speed limit was 60...I was doing 110...

P

PhL0aTeR

So if i get pulled over they can arrest me?

thats what im trying to get at, if i get pulled over and they run my license does texas have an agreement with arizona that will allow the texas peace officer to arrest me and extradite(SP?) me to arizona to handle the warrant?

H

hexeliebe

check with an attorney

but this is a misdemeanor warrant and from what I understand in most jurisdictions, extradition on such won't happen...

just contact the arizona authorities and work out a payment plan. You're going to have to face it sooner or later.

P

PhL0aTeR

but then that says i was in the wrong....

what i didnt explain b4 was that i was on a us hwy doing 65, the posted, a red jeep greand cherokee passes me doing well over 100 and no missing a beat or slowing down a cop passes and hits the lights and turns around, i pull to the side to let him pass (jeep cherokee is out of sight at this time) and he pulls me over. i mentioned the jeep and he says im lucky he doesnt toss me in jail. I know its been said b4 but i was not speeding.....

B

Boxcarbill

Look you got advice and sound advice. You can either
(a) go back to AZ and litigate the merits or
(b) put it on ignore and not get your license renewed because of the ticket.

It is pointless to set on this forum and argue the merits of the case with the contributors. Either sh@T or get off the pot.

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

I agree totally with BoxcarBill

but maybe one more example from my sordid past will help you to see sometimes it pays to shut up and act like a man.

Three years ago I was working in Seattle, WA. and dating a lady in Portland, OR. On friday at 3 p.m I left the office in my rental car and headed to her house to ...ah Let's just say have some romantic time together.

Well, about 50 miles outside of Portland a truck passed me going about 100 mph so I pulled in behind him and sped up thinking if he slowed down so would I.

SURPRISE, the highway patrol officer clocked us both from the opposite direction, pulled a u-turn in the median then turned on his lights. I saw him and slowed down but too late. He pulled beside me and over the loudspeaker said "Follow Me"....

I did, pulling in behind him after he had stopped the truck I was following. I got out my license (from Germany by the way), the insurance papers and rental agreement, sat on my hood and waited for him to finish with the truck driver.

As I waited I noticed the other driver "slap" his license into the trooper's hand then the two arguing. The trooper wrote out the ticket and the driver snatched it and his license from the trooper and took off.

I said nothing as the trooper asked for my license and registration. As I handed it to him I told him it was a rental and also handed him my rental agreement.

He took one look at my license, grinned and said "Sprechen Sie Deutsche?" We spoke for the next 30 minutes in German and after he asked why I was in such a hurry and me sheepishly explaining why, I asked him how much my fine would be. That's when he handed me the warning and told me to slow down so I could enjoy my evening.

I apologize for the length of this post but I thought the original poster should know, if you're ready to accept responsibility things go a little smoother...if not, you get what you deserve.

P

PhL0aTeR

i didnt plan on posting anymore to this thread but the difference between that story and mine is that you stated you started speeding. I was going the speed limit and by the time the cop even turned around the guy he radared was out of sight. I consider myself a speed demon and speed pretty much everwhere i go but for the last 5 years i havent gotten a ticket because ive slowed down, on road trips i have almost always gotten a ticket so im even more careful utilizing my cruise control even through the towns we have to slow down while passing through. Why should i have to pay the jeeps ticket?? Why should i have to pay a fine i did not deserve? It just seems rather stupid that the cop cannot admit he was wrong and let me on my way like that cop did for you. i was respectful and did not argue a bit, even after he informed me i was lucky he wasnt hauling me to jail and he didnt have time to wait for someone else to pick me up due to him being on his way to a training session. Is there anyone on my side?

H

hexeliebe

It's not a matter of sides

the point both boxcarbill and I are making is this:

Either you own up to your responsibility and deal with the ticket, which means pay the fine or return to AZ to fight it, or you hide from it which is what I got from your original post.

No one here worth a damn is going to advise you to ignore the ticket. That would be the same as advising you to break the law. What I would advise you to do is decide what kind of man (or woman) you want to be, someone who controls their own life or someone who let's others control it.

If you want control over your own life, then take it, face whatever happens and get on with it. If not, you'll always be looking over your shoulder.

It sounds to me like you're not a bad person. Just trying to get someone to say it's o.k. to ignore the ticket and that won't happen.

P

PhL0aTeR

thanx again

I'm currently negotiating a lower fine and deferred adjudication(SP?) to put it all behind me. If the fine sticks it will be a steep price to pay but if i get def adj then i wont have to pay 1000 bux over the next 3 years in inflated insurance rates as it wont be on my record.... juss thought id wrap up that post... thanx for all your advice, it rreally helped!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">