• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they do this? Get a warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SnakeLady

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

We (husband and I) just had the local county sheriff's department knock on our door asking about an altercation that took place around 2 AM this morning down the street at a neighbor’s house.

We just purchased our home about six months ago and really only know the neighbor that lives right beside us. They ask "Do you know anything about something that happened around 2 AM this morning three doors down?"
Of course we said no, we were sound asleep and we pretty much keep to ourselves. The two cops then became very belligerent, said a few things about not knowing our neighbors, and you must have heard something, and you folks don’t look like you own this house, you must rent (not relevant, but my husband looks like a biker). They then wanted to come in our house to take a look. Knowing our rights, we said "Not without a warrant you aren't and we have nothing to hide." Then they started getting in our face "Yeah, we are getting a warrant and we will come in." We then asked for the names and badge numbers, and they refused to give them to us.

Right now, my husband is filing a complaint with the HQ, and there response was "there have been several complaints like this and it will be dealt with swiftly. And we apologize and if anything else happens, please call or come in and report it."

Should we worry about any retaliation from the cops who showed up? We are worried, we have nothing to hide and are law abiding citizens. Thank you for looking.

quincy

We (husband and I) just had the local county sheriff's department knock on our door asking about an altercation that took place around 2 AM this morning down the street at a neighbor’s house.

We just purchased our home about six months ago and really only know the neighbor that lives right beside us. They ask "Do you know anything about something that happened around 2 AM this morning three doors down?"
Of course we said no, we were sound asleep and we pretty much keep to ourselves. The two cops then became very belligerent, said a few things about not knowing our neighbors, and you must have heard something, and you folks don’t look like you own this house, you must rent (not relevant, but my husband looks like a biker). They then wanted to come in our house to take a look. Knowing our rights, we said "Not without a warrant you aren't and we have nothing to hide." Then they started getting in our face "Yeah, we are getting a warrant and we will come in." We then asked for the names and badge numbers, and they refused to give them to us.

Right now, my husband is filing a complaint with the HQ, and there response was "there have been several complaints like this and it will be dealt with swiftly. And we apologize and if anything else happens, please call or come in and report it."

Should we worry about any retaliation from the cops who showed up? We are worried, we have nothing to hide and are law abiding citizens. Thank you for looking.
I can't speak to your fear of retaliation but reporting the officers' behavior seems to have been an appropriate step for you to take. It appears the Department is taking your complaint seriously.

As you were advised by the Department, if anything else happens, call or go in to report it.

SnakeLady

update!

Update - well...its interesting. About 2 PM today, two cars pull up to the house. One is the local PD and the other is your standard Crown Vic with police markings. They ask are you (our names)? Yes, of course, we are. They introduced themselves as Deputy X and (get this) Agent Y with the GBI! Apparently these so called cops have been going around doing very similar things to other citizens (well, more than that, stealing, roughing up folks). We were assured that these two men are longer employed with the local county PD and will be prosecuted to fullest extent of the law. Needless to say, we are so relieved.

Thank you all!

LdiJ

Update - well...its interesting. About 2 PM today, two cars pull up to the house. One is the local PD and the other is your standard Crown Vic with police markings. They ask are you (our names)? Yes, of course, we are. They introduced themselves as Deputy X and (get this) Agent Y with the GBI! Apparently these so called cops have been going around doing very similar things to other citizens (well, more than that, stealing, roughing up folks). We were assured that these two men are longer employed with the local county PD and will be prosecuted to fullest extent of the law. Needless to say, we are so relieved.

Thank you all!
Wow...congrats for doing the right thing and getting results!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">