• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they really do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krisalane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Hi all. Here is my situation and any help or advice would be appreciated.

Today I went to the county courthouse to pick up a letter for my employer. While I was there they informed me that I had 3 warrents for my arrest, issued in March of this year(2012), for failure to pay traffic tickets received in 1995, 1997 and 2002 to the tune of $584. The court clerk demanded that I provide proof of payment, pay something or be arrested on the spot. I had $73 which I gave her in order for her to put me on the next traffic docket (Fri) and let me leave without arrest. She would not rescind the warrents but rather told me to watch out for police until Friday. I have no doubt these were paid in full years ago but I have no records from back then. I have had other dealings with their offices in 2000 and 2005 and these were not mentioned then. Is this legal? If so how? How can I possibly prove I paid these? What in the heck can I do about this?
TIA for any help.... :confused:!!!!!!!!!

sandyclaus

Appear, prove you paid or pay again.
Really? Can you share the reasoning for me please?:eek:
Sure thing.

The court has no record of you ever paying. Because they still show the tickets as being outstanding, the warrants were issued for your arrest.

So, bottom line, if you have paid them as you claim, you'll have to provide proof of payment - cancelled check copies, credit card statements, receipts. It's up to YOU to prove you paid them, since the courts do not have any record of the payments ever being received.

You can protest all you want, but unless you can prove you paid them, you're stuck.

krisalane

You can protest all you want, but unless you can prove you paid them, you're stuck.
Wow. That sux and doesn't sound at all fair. How can the burdon of proof for payment be mine after this long? Why are they not required to have addressed this in reasonable time frame? Even the IRS doesn't get this kind of margin.

krisalane

How did you pay?
I believe it would have been by check or money order. However according to my husband who works at our bank, I can't get checking records from that far back.

They did - they issued warrants.
They issued warrents in 2012 for tickets received 10 plus years earlier. That is far from timely. Please be constructive. Your small quips of wisdom aren't helping.

Antigone*

I believe it would have been by check or money order. However according to my husband who works at our bank, I can't get checking records from that far back.

They issued warrents in 2012 for tickets received 10 plus years earlier. That is far from timely. Please be constructive. Your small quips of wisdom aren't helping.
Lady, you doth protest too much. You've been given an accurate answer. Now if you don't like what you heard for free, go pay an attorney to tell you the same thing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Realistically, you may find that it's cheaper to pay the $511 that is remaining than it will be to pay an attorney. Shop around.

krisalane

Realistically, you may find that it's cheaper to pay the $511 that is remaining than it will be to pay an attorney. Shop around.
Thank you. It seems that may be the case. I'm currently looking at the viability of suing the county and state. I may have to pay this bullsh^t again, but it seems absolutley insane to allow this practice to continue.

As for protesting too much... mmmehh! Sqeeky wheel, here! I want to know my situation and my possible paths. Weak, because I told you so, type comments went out with childhood. If you didn't want to give/receive FREE advice then why be here at freeadvice.com? Notice the telling web address?:)

Silverplum

Thank you. It seems that may be the case. I'm currently looking at the viability of suing the county and state. I may have to pay this bullsh^t again, but it seems absolutley insane to allow this practice to continue.

As for protesting too much... mmmehh! Sqeeky wheel, here! I want to know my situation and my possible paths. Weak, because I told you so, type comments went out with childhood. If you didn't want to give/receive FREE advice then why be here at freeadvice.com? Notice the telling web address?:)
If you can't express yourself without using crass language, feel free to conduct your legal business in your local bar.

:rolleyes:

Antigone*

You don't have a case; however, if you want to move forward with this pay an attorney. It is the only way to make it happen. Just so you know. The attorney is going to ask you to pay up front if they take your case. You will lose so, they will want to make sure to be paid.

krisalane

You don't have a case; however, if you want to move forward with this pay an attorney. It is the only way to make it happen. Just so you know. The attorney is going to ask you to pay up front if they take your case. You will lose so, they will want to make sure to be paid.
Thank you. I suppose I am just shocked that this can be legal. I realize the laws don't always make sense, but seriously???? This is a good reason to do away with 'lawmakers'!

Antigone*

Thank you. I suppose I am just shocked that this can be legal. I realize the laws don't always make sense, but seriously???? This is a good reason to do away with 'lawmakers'!
No, actually this is a darn good reason to take care of your traffic tickets in a timely manner.:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">