• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can You be arrested For Food Stamp Fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nicoleasm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I know this is a very weird question....but my sister was on food stamps and received a card(they call it an EBT card)..where they put money on it for her to buy food monthly. It ended up being stolen by her BF, and he wouldn't give it back to her. I was there when she couldn't find it and called him up, and he told her, he didnt have it and hung up the phone. This happned a month ago..She called and reported it stolen. They sent her another one. This happened again, where her new card came up missing. She kept trying to find it, and believed her BF went inside her purse and took it again or even stole it while she had it lying around. She has said she never gave him authorization to use or take her card..I was there the 2nd time when she called his mom and asked her to talk to him about it, and he denied having it.
About 2 weeks later, my sister was arrested on other charges stemming from violence against her BF, and while she was in jail, we find out her card has been used. We know it is the BF and were hoping to file fraudulent charges against him...is this possible?
She said she has used it around him, they dont live together, but she has stayed the night with him on several occasions...this is a very horrible, despicable human being, and he has done so many bad things to my sister. Even though he has calld her names, physically abused her..she still continued dating him.

CdwJava

She needs to report the theft and the fraudulent use to the police. They will (hopefully) investigate and see if they can determine if it was fraudulently used.

- Carl

dave33

It certainly would have been better to report it when the theft occurred.Now, he can claim retaliation, especially if you need a pin# to access the account.

BL

She reported it stolen the first time ,but not the second .

Yes ,he'd need the pin number to use it .

It needs to be reported .

Oh ,she's sitting in jail , he allegedly has the card ,not yet reported ,so coming the next month and date , more F'S will be added to the account ,and whoever has the card and pin # can use it again .

Nice.

I do believe inmates can send letters.

Oh , and depending if she's spending 30 days or more ,she needs to report her changes anyway .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">