• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you copy a notary paper?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sygurz

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I am involved in a real mess in a civil case that has yet to go to trial. It involves forgery, fraud, and a whole lot of other charges. The defendant took a signed and noterized quit claim,and made a copy of the notery page. She didn't like the wording on the original quit claim, so made another one out, forged my name, and attached the original notary page to it and filed it with the register of deeds office, for a sale of property. This was caught in time, so the sale didn't go thru. She kept the original quit claim, attached a copy of the notary page to it, and the sheriff has all the paper work until the trial is over with. The defendant is saying, that after the trial, she is going to just re file the original quit claim, and everything will be OK. My question: If a original quit claim has a copy of a notary page attached to it instead of a original notary, isn't it considered invaled and worthless?

seniorjudge

The defendant took a signed and noterized quit claim,and made a copy of the notery page.

If you record that one, it will be good.

FlyingRon

I'm confused.

The notary seal usually is embossed over the signatures or at least in close proximity. Are you saying you have your notary page severable from the siguatures?

seniorjudge

I'm confused.

The notary seal usually is embossed over the signatures or at least in close proximity. Are you saying you have your notary page severable from the siguatures?
I don't know what he's saying, but embossed notary seals are a thing of the past.

Now it's just a rubber stamp.

And it's not unheard of to have notarization on a page separate from the rest of the deed.

If you have a good copy machine, it's not difficult to forge a deed.

sygurz

Yes, unfortunately, it was a rubber stamp notary, and not a embossed notary stamp, and it was separate from the actual document. That is how she was able to file a forged document with the real notary stamp. I am hoping the judge declares all the documents null and void at the trial, both at the criminal trial and at the civil trial.

racer72

Rubber stamped notary seals should be done in blue or purple ink. This should make the copied document easily stand out. But with some of the photocopying available today, it could be possible to submit a copy. I still have and use my impression stamp too. It sure comes in handy for situations such as this.

FlyingRon

We must be in the dark ages. We still use the embossed seals here.
While I've seen the Notary's signature and the my commission expires on ... stuff fall onto a different page, the signatures are usually near the seal.

Of course, even with the embossed seal, it's not hard to forge. It's just hard to understand what he is saying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">