• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you explain what a ACD is?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaundayvette

What is the name of your state? New York

I was arrested for criminal mischef. I spent 30 hours in police custody. The charges were brought on by my former landlord. We were in the process of going to Housing Court. He has a history of breaking into tenants rooms (a rooming house) and throwing their stuff out. I was the first to stand up to him, so in return he had someone who worked for him break into my room and pour roof tar all over. He then call the police the following day after I had already filed a complaint. He had a tenant who wasn't even home when I returned from court lie and say she saw me damage my property. They have an order of protection for her. I have no time nor engery to go after her. She is a drug addict who was force by her drug dealer boyfriend who sold drugs out of the building. The landlord was very aware of this.

What is a ACD??

They told me if I stay out of trouble for 6 months the charges will be dismissed. Are they trying to find a pattern in my behavior? I want to be able to take this man to civil court for illegal lock out, invasion of privacy, and pain and suffering. He should not get away with being able to treat tenant any kind of way?

Happy Trails

shaundayvette said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I was arrested for criminal mischef. I spent 30 hours in police custody. The charges were brought on by my former landlord. We were in the process of going to Housing Court. He has a history of breaking into tenants rooms (a rooming house) and throwing their stuff out. I was the first to stand up to him, so in return he had someone who worked for him break into my room and pour roof tar all over. He then call the police the following day after I had already filed a complaint. He had a tenant who wasn't even home when I returned from court lie and say she saw me damage my property. They have an order of protection for her. I have no time nor engery to go after her. She is a drug addict who was force by her drug dealer boyfriend who sold drugs out of the building. The landlord was very aware of this.

What is a ACD??

They told me if I stay out of trouble for 6 months the charges will be dismissed. Are they trying to find a pattern in my behavior? I want to be able to take this man to civil court for illegal lock out, invasion of privacy, and pain and suffering. He should not get away with being able to treat tenant any kind of way?
Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal

It means just what they told you.

mycarlb

I used to live in NY city (Bronx) and am very aware of boarding houses and the filth that rent out those rooms. The problem is that if you accept the ACD you are, in essence, saying you are guilty of whatever the reduced charges are... and yes, after 6 months those charges will be dismissed if you stay out of trouble, but if you go to small claims court to sue him, then he can use the ACD against you... It's similar to someone being charged with breaking and entering, and having it reduced to disorderly conduct... you are still admitting guilt...

If I were you, I would find out if this guy has the legal right to rent rooms or not. I had a room in a home that I later found out was supposed to be a 3 family home... he had turned each floor into separate rooms with a community bathroom and kitchen... we had him shut down... just by alerting the housing authority of his address and what he was doing, and they do the rest. We had to sign paperwork saying we rented rooms, and I took pictures of the bathroom and kitchen too.

Do what you can as far as civil court, but be sure to have pictures of your property, witnesses, etc, because it's not gonna be easy to sue him.

Good luck to you!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">