• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cannabis and suspended license in illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

axh

What is the name of your state? -Illinois-

My friend had two tickets, in 24 months, under the age of 21. Because of this her license was suspended. She made the mistake of driving to a park on the suspended license because she thought she had a few more days to mail it in. While parked in the forest preserve, a forest preserve cop ran her plates and saw that her license was suspended, which gave him the right to search the car so he did. He found some cannabis and pipes, and after making the two of us worry for what seemed like hours he gave us tickets. I received a 75 dollar forest preserve ticket for possession, which I can pay through the mail. My friend also received the 75 dollar ticket for possession of cannabis, but he gave her a 100 dollar ticket for driving on a suspended license as well, and said she has to appear in court for both tickets.

We originally thought the tickets wouldn't show up on our records since they were just simple tickets, but my friend was told recently that even mine would show up on my record, even though I have no court date. Is this true?

I'm trying to get some idea of what might happen to my friend. This is her first offense, the worst trouble she's been in before was the two tickets she got, which got her license suspended. I need some advice, please.

1. What are some possible outcomes for my friend?
2. How necessary is it for her to hire a lawyer?
3. Will the charge remain on my record, and for how long?
4. The police officer made a lot of comments that were not appreciated, such as..
Implying that my friend and I smoked crack, asking if my friend was homeless because of the amount of items in her car, and even saying "the other cops are gonna rip on me for not arresting you two, they're gonna say 'aw you gave them tickets? why didn't you arrest them?'".
Is it ok for him to have talked like this to us? I'm guessing there isn't anything we can actually do about that.

Anything anyone can tell me would be great, thank you.

seniorjudge

axh said:
What is the name of your state? -Illinois-

My friend had two tickets, in 24 months, under the age of 21. Because of this her license was suspended. She made the mistake of driving to a park on the suspended license because she thought she had a few more days to mail it in. While parked in the forest preserve, a forest preserve cop ran her plates and saw that her license was suspended, which gave him the right to search the car so he did. He found some cannabis and pipes, and after making the two of us worry for what seemed like hours he gave us tickets. I received a 75 dollar forest preserve ticket for possession, which I can pay through the mail. My friend also received the 75 dollar ticket for possession of cannabis, but he gave her a 100 dollar ticket for driving on a suspended license as well, and said she has to appear in court for both tickets.

We originally thought the tickets wouldn't show up on our records since they were just simple tickets, but my friend was told recently that even mine would show up on my record, even though I have no court date. Is this true?

I'm trying to get some idea of what might happen to my friend. This is her first offense, the worst trouble she's been in before was the two tickets she got, which got her license suspended. I need some advice, please.

1. What are some possible outcomes for my friend?
2. How necessary is it for her to hire a lawyer?
3. Will the charge remain on my record, and for how long?
4. The police officer made a lot of comments that were not appreciated, such as..
Implying that my friend and I smoked crack, asking if my friend was homeless because of the amount of items in her car, and even saying "the other cops are gonna rip on me for not arresting you two, they're gonna say 'aw you gave them tickets? why didn't you arrest them?'".
Is it ok for him to have talked like this to us? I'm guessing there isn't anything we can actually do about that.

Anything anyone can tell me would be great, thank you.
Q: Is it ok for him to have talked like this to us?

A: Yes.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=1423068&posted=1#post1423068
double post

axh

When the tickets were given, the cop gave us both the impression that it was something that would not show up on my record. I figured it had something to do with it being a ticket given in the forest preserve.

But now that I see it will remain on my record, is there any way to get it off in the future? This would be my first offense as well, and the officer didn't seem to take note of how much cannabis there was (under 5 grams I'm sure) in the car. Would it actually be in my best interest to hire a lawyer? I'm 19, couldn't afford it on my own, so I would be bringing my family into the situation.

How hard will this charge on my record make getting a job in the future?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">