• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can't pay municipal fine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cajunroach1

What is the name of your state? louisiana
i'm in new orleans. last month i was stopped on a curfew violation that turned into a public drunkeness arrest. i pled guilty to get out jail and next week i have to show up in municipal court and pay $200. I won't have the full amount until two weeks from now. what should i do? show up and see if i can pay partial, find some free attorney?, or what/? thanks

thanrah1

Partial payment???

This is two hundred dollars NOT two thousand, You've had ample time to come up with the money. Borrow the remaining of what you need to pay it off and it's over.....AND STAY SOBER....You should be embarrassed and ashamed over being arrested for public intox.

gawm

A lot of courts will let you make payments. Check with the court clerk and let them know your financial situation.

outonbail

If your appearing before the Judge for a status check, bring as much as you can come up with (at least half should do) Explain your situation to the judge and respectfully request an extension for paying the remainder of the fine and chances are you will be granted more time.
After all the devastation that has hit New Orleans I would imagine the courts are giving a little more leadway to folks paying fines.

If the Judge asks how much time you need and you believe two weeks should be enough, request four weeks. You don't want to keep appearing with another song and dance routine, you want to be sure you have the total amount on your next court date, so give yourself some breathing room.

Also, if you have been given community service as well as the fine, then it would be in your best interest to have completed some, if not most of your required community service. There is no excuse for not making the effort to get that cleared up.

Show up on time, don't be looking like Beetlejuice and speak with respect to the Judge.

stephenk

At least one new orleans citizen is back up to speed despite the damage caused by katrina. Acting drunk in the middle of the rubble?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">