• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capias Profine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jloessin

Texas,

I received a few citations in the beginning of the year (4) on two different occasions. I was put on a payment plan for all four. I made a few payments, and then fell behind and could not make payments for about 2 months. It is my own fault that I did not contact the courts, but know have multiple warrants for my arrest totaling $1400.00. The court ether wants me to pay this in full or go to jail for 28 days. I am a workingman, with a young family, and expecting a third child in Sep. 04. Do I have a chance at turning myself in early in the morning so that I have a chance at seeing the judge to get put back on a payment plan to finish my payments which seemed to have doubled now that it is in warrant status. Or will he want to keep me there in jail for 28 days, so I loose probably my job and family??

Jason

You Are Guilty

jloessin said:
Texas,

I received a few citations in the beginning of the year (4) on two different occasions. I was put on a payment plan for all four. I made a few payments, and then fell behind and could not make payments for about 2 months. It is my own fault that I did not contact the courts, but know have multiple warrants for my arrest totaling $1400.00. The court ether wants me to pay this in full or go to jail for 28 days. I am a workingman, with a young family, and expecting a third child in Sep. 04. Do I have a chance at turning myself in early in the morning so that I have a chance at seeing the judge to get put back on a payment plan to finish my payments which seemed to have doubled now that it is in warrant status. Or will he want to keep me there in jail for 28 days, so I loose probably my job and family??

Jason

The answer is probably yes or no. Possibly even maybe. If you do decide to go early, you might want to consider bringing donuts and coffee as proof that, deep down inside, you're really a swell guy. Good luck.

JETX

jloessin said:
Do I have a chance at turning myself in early in the morning so that I have a chance at seeing the judge to get put back on a payment plan to finish my payments which seemed to have doubled now that it is in warrant status.
*** No. Your post isn't clear as to what you mean to 'turning myself in early in the morning'. Do you mean simply showing up at the court?? If so, then you will probably NOT get a chance to talk with the judge. Or do you mean to walk up to an officer and say "I'm your man. Arrest me."?? If so, you probably wouldn't see the judge (and not the same one) for several hours.

I suggest you contact a local attorney and let him/her negotiate your surrender and try to negotiate a 'settlement' of the issues.

J

jloessin

Yes, turn myself in to the jail.

I was going to show up at the jail to turn myself in, in hopes of seeing a judge for that morning’s jail court hearing. What is the probability that the judge will let me continue payments vs. putting me in jail for 28 days?

I have talked to a lawyer, and he said for his fee and an estimated payment of the month I missed on the plan, he would go talk to the judge for me est. ($500.00). Which would be the most economical vs. the risk of doing time?

You Are Guilty

jloessin said:
I was going to show up at the jail to turn myself in, in hopes of seeing a judge for that morning’s jail court hearing. What is the probability that the judge will let me continue payments vs. putting me in jail for 28 days?
I just got off the phone with my bookie, Vinny, and he says its 9:5 that you'd be sent to the slammer, with the over/under on days actually served at 26 (I guess good behavior is good for something!) Given this, I think it's best I get a second opinion, so I made an appointment with my psychic, Ms. Cleo, who informs me that she can accurately predict what a judge will do in any given situation. I'll let you know what she says.

jloessin said:
I have talked to a lawyer, and he said for his fee and an estimated payment of the month I missed on the plan, he would go talk to the judge for me est. ($500.00). Which would be the most economical vs. the risk of doing time?
Great, an economics question, I'm good at these. Let's break it down. $500 over 28 days is $17.86 per day. (Well, $17.857 to be precise.) Do you earn more than $17.86 per day? I'm not clairvoyant myself, but based on your prior posts, there's a good chance you don't. In which case, the 4 weeks in the pokey make economic sense, especially if you factor in all the money you'll save on feeding and clothing yourself for that time. On the other hand, if you make more than $17.86, you might just want to consider that lawyer after all. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">