• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

capias warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sduncan0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?I live in Maryland.

I am involved in a guardianship matter for my mother in Virginia. My mother had gifted an amount of money to my brother and I. The Judge wants this money returned and given to the conservator in this matter. The case is over and on appeal.

We are now responding to an enforcement order which wanted the money accounted for and returned. We accounted for the money. Some of the money has been received by the conservator. The balance is not available to give to the conservator. The judge has signed an order that says if the money is not received in two weeks a capias warrant will be issued.

What are my options? Can a Virginia contempt 'capias' warrant reach me in Maryland? If the money is not there for me to give up, its not there. Holding someone in jail is not going to make it appear.

The money was not "taken" it was received through a transaction made and witnessed by third parties, and believed to be valid, an aspect of this case which has not been appropriately addressed and blocked by the judges order which is currently on appeal.

FlyingRon

You'll have to take that up with the judge. You may wish to see him before the sheriff comes to drag you in involuntarily.

Your story here seems contradictory. First you say "gift" and then you say "transaction."
Pick one. Sounds like the judge thinks that someone took advantage of your mother. If you wish to pursue it further, you'll need a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">