• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In Car With dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dwight415

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was in the car with a dealer who had half an ounce and a scale. I was in the car and they let me go with nothing thus far, should i be expecting a charge? He said the weed and everything was all his, I had nothing to do with it. This is true as well, never knew he sold drugs I knew he smoked but never sold. Am i going to get charged? Will I have to testify?

FlyingRon

As we say, the crystal ball is hazy. Both charges or being called as a witness are within the realm of possibility. If the police call to question you or you get charged keep your mouth SHUT without having a lawyer present (and I'd be researching one to call in the more than slight chance that this will happen).

Dwight415

How long should be worried about this? I just want this all to be put into my past.

EDIT: by the way I'm a minor... 16 years old, the cops at the time said we weren't going to be charged. The other kid is planning on pleading his guilty they won't hire a lawyer for him as he's been in trouble before.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Never take legal advice from the cops.
If he isn't going to be charged how can he plead guilty?
This could be a felony, they have three years (possibly six) to commence prosecution.

CdwJava

How long should be worried about this? I just want this all to be put into my past.

EDIT: by the way I'm a minor... 16 years old, the cops at the time said we weren't going to be charged. The other kid is planning on pleading his guilty they won't hire a lawyer for him as he's been in trouble before.
If the officers said you were not likely to get charged, you probably won't get charged. They are the ones that forward charges to the DA and if they did not plan on doing that, well, that's that.

Is it POSSIBLE for you to be charged with something? Sure, if there is evidence to show you are involved in criminal activity. If your pal suddenly starts blabbing that you were his runner for some kind of dealing operation, then all bets are off.

As far as worried, if they charged your friend with felony sales or distribution, then you have three years to worry. if only for possession, then that has a one year statute of limitations. But, if for possession only, then the matter is likely over and done with.

xylene

I'm assuming that by 'half ounce' you mean "the marihuana"?

If you were let go with no charge, no paperwork, and basically nothing happened, this is not going to turn in to much unless as Carl says there is more to this story.

Did the police even blow you in to your parents?

Small quantities of MJ is not exactly a high law enforcement priority at this time in your state.

CdwJava

Small amounts of marijuana are annoying for police out here. No jail can be imposed, and the time and effort to write the report and book the evidence takes far more time than the violation is worth. Unless this is a felony sales case, they are not likely to do much more with it

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">