• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Prostitution on tape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaquin1234

What is the name of your state? NJ

We inherited a house in Paterson, New Jersey and moved into it only to discover that the dead-end street in front of our house is a heaven for prostitutes. Basically, cars will park unexpectedly and leave 5 minutes later, we would find condoms and tissue on the street, so we asked the police department to incrtease patrol with little, if any success.

Today we had an incidnet where a car pulled over in the middle of the day light, I could clearly see a woman perorming oral sex on the driver of the car. They were parked in front of the my truck, so I used the remote to activate the panic alarm, they kept going at it.

I called the police department and was told an officer was ont he way. The other car finished and left. I managed to grab my cell phone and video tape the incident along with the license plate number. In the tape, you can learly see what is going on.

I am very angry about this. I had the neigbours kid place the video on a CD and gave to the officer who came in to make the report. I told him that I will testify against this person.

My question is, knowing it is not the crime of the century, to what extent would police foliowup? I made it easy for them by providing license plate number, description adn willigness to testify. Should I follow up, or am I wasting my time?

Thank you.

BL

You had a neighbor " kid " put a sex act on CD .

And you are wanting some action ?

Weren't you contributing to the delinquency of a minor ?

Maybe you'd better think twice .

CdwJava

Jaquin1234 said:
My question is, knowing it is not the crime of the century, to what extent would police foliowup? I made it easy for them by providing license plate number, description adn willigness to testify. Should I follow up, or am I wasting my time?
It really depends on how clear the video is, and how much effort the department puts into anti-prostitution activity. I wouldn't anticipate much.

You might consider posting a big sign near the street announcing that concealed cameras record all activity on the street and see if this has any deterrent effect.

- Carl

CdwJava

I am thinking the "kid" is probably a high-schooler in the 16+ range and has likely seen much more graphic portrayals of sex acts on cable/satellite TV than a long distance 1.2 megapixel video would show. However, it's probably moot - if his camera is anything like mine, the file can be burned to disc without ever viewing it.

- Carl

moburkes

Oh, okay. That makes sense. I hardly know how to use that stuff anymore, and I'm not old-just outdated, I guess:D

CdwJava

moburkes said:
Oh, okay. That makes sense. I hardly know how to use that stuff anymore, and I'm not old-just outdated, I guess:D
I struggle every day to try and remain as computer literate as the world around me ... I figure as long as I know more than my kids, I'm doing okay!

- Carl

justalayman

CdwJava said:
I struggle every day to try and remain as computer literate as the world around me ... I figure as long as I know more than my kids, I'm doing okay!

- Carl
You must be a pretty computer savvy guy. If I were to know more than my kid, I would be at an engineer or programmer level which I am far from.

What about filming these folks (expanding upon Carl's suggestion) and asking them to sign a release so you can sell the film. Maybe the bother will tend to be enough of a suggestion they are not welcome in the area.
(not a truly serious suggestion. You never know how folks will react to the "invasion" of their privacy)

Keep after the police to increase patrols. Don;t be an ass about it but keep after them.

How well are littering ordianaces enforced in your area. Maybe if the cops don;t want to take on the sex position, they would be more willing to at least cite offenders for littering.

You might speak with the health department as well. Disposal of bodily fluids would tend to fall under thier jurisdiction. I don't know if it would be of concern but at this point, what is there to lose.

While each of these suggestions may seem trivial, sometimes the "bother" is enough to, at least, get the offenders to move to a new area.

5 minutes? hardly seems worth the bother.

Jaquin1234

Forgot to mention, for a 67 year old woman, a 19 year old is a kid; but I always take pictures and video clips of the grand kids, and the neighbors kid always helpfule with computers.

The suggested video survellance would not help, because I was so close to the car without them noticing, that is how I got a clear shot of the license plate and the popping head. I believe this is my opportunity to get police to do something. If they have all the information and evidence, plus a willing witness, what else would they need?

1. My question is, can I pursue this by suing the vehicle owner?
2. Would police put a "warrant" on that car so that if it is stopped they will call me and I will identify the driver?

Thank you all, again.

PS: the car had NY license plates (I am in NJ), would that limit my efforts

Last edited:

CdwJava

Jaquin1234 said:
1. My question is, can I pursue this by suing the vehicle owner?
For what? How were you damaged?

I don't think you have a cause of action here.

2. Would police put a "warrant" on that car so that if it is stopped they will call me and I will identify the driver?
No. A warrant is for people (or a place if to be searched). They COULD put a "stop" or the NJ equivalent of a "DOJ STOP" on the vehicle if the plates are run, but I doubt they would do that for a misdemeanor.

If they want to investigate it they will likely pull DMV photos from the registered owner and similar individuals and have you pick the photo out of a lineup.

Not knowing your town, I can't say whether they are going to spend any time on this or not. And being that it's a low grade misdemeanor, I can't see them going whole hog on the issue ... though this one MIGHT be a 'gimme' - even if they can't prove prostitution, they might be able to charge him for some form of lewd act in public.

- Carl

BL

Great prostitution story for the local news . Have the neighbor kid make a second copy and call the news room to see if they're interested in airing it .

Maybe get some community agencies to get involved in the plight .

Here in my City the news ran prostitution stories for the longest time .

Jaquin1234

My husband and I are even considering selling the property, which will bring less value due to the adjacent neighbourhood being infamous for drugs and prostitution; basically the police department is overwhelmed with more serious crimes in the city.

The local TV channel has shown some information about the prostitutes in the area, including HIV rates, times caught for prostitution, etc. You see, the area is a one-stop-shop for entertainment.

Carl, where can I find out more about the DOJ STOP. Would that stop apply to all agencies, or just the City of paterson? (if would not help if the car was stopped outside the jusrisdiction area). Thanks.

CdwJava

Jaquin1234 said:
Carl, where can I find out more about the DOJ STOP. Would that stop apply to all agencies, or just the City of paterson? (if would not help if the car was stopped outside the jusrisdiction area). Thanks.
In a nutshell, it is when law enforcement has a vehicle entered into the national or state computer system as being related to a particular crime or to a missing person, a "stop" is what notified law enforcement dispatchers that the vehicle they just ran is of interest in some way. Law enforcement can also annotate a vehicle as being of interest in a particular activity.

However, I seriously doubt they will do this for a prostitution case. They will runt he plate, and if they have the desire, they will contact the registered owner and let him know that they know what he was up to. If they are really ambitious they will pull a "six-pack" of DMV photos for a photo line-up and ask you to pick the perpetrator out of a lineup. Hopefully you can remember what he looks like ... er ... above the waist.

- Carl

Jaquin1234

Yes Carl, I can identify him from waist up, and waiste down :)

The cops knew who the female was based on the color and style of her clothes (orange/green with Jeans, barley covers anything). They talked to her and she denied everything, her face was not clear in the shot, so they let her go.

One officer remembered stopping the driver the night before and warning him about picking up prostitutes. They have his name, but cannot contact him because he lives in NY.

The officer suggested more lighting, but the incident occred in broad daylight, so I doubt it will help. They told me that the driver will eventually come tot he area again and they will be on the lookout for a 2005 Silver Mustang with NY plates.

BTW, I called the TV station and they said that they cannot run the clip ebcause they can be sued. My neighbour suggested making huge condum out of plastic bags to hang on the street and get media attention, but that may violate city ordinance.

My husband, 74, watched the tape over 10 times, so I am going to toss it and call it a quit.

xylene

A suggestion

Bocce.

Play bocce in front of your house all the time.

A errant bocce ball... :rolleyes:

Nothing like a caved in hood and shattered windshield to ruin the mood...

and startle a prostitute...

A nerf football or softer ball might work just as good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">