• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case Files

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

star69

I am in N.J.. I need some advice on obtaining a case file from an old case in L.A. county California.
It is a case from 1980. The case is closed since 1980.
Is it possible to or legal for me to look at or obtain the entire case file or any part of it.
I wrote to the L.A. county court house records division and received no response.
What parts of a case file are commonly available to a researcher in these matters?
If I posted in the wrong section please excuse me.
Star69

CdwJava

If the case file still exists it is likely on microfilm or in storage somewhere. To obtain the record you can call the LA County Sheriff's Department (if it is their case), the LA County Court, or check out the link to LA County's Public Records info:

http://lacounty.info/public_records.htm

Whether this record is subject to release pursuant to FCRA and GC 6254(f) might still be in question.

It is also possible that the records have been purged (i.e. destroyed).

- Carl

garrula lingua

I presume this isn't your case.
In my experience, L.A. courts won't release the file, even if they have it available.

The Sheriff's Dept. won't respond - they do not retain info on the court case, and they will only release the original police report (if they have it) to the attorneys involved.

I believe you're SOL.

When you say the case is closed as of 1980, was there a trial/plea ?

The court reporter was an independent contractor & s/he can probably (if s/he still has the file) reproduce the transcript, if you are willing to pay.

star69

Hi

The case was a fairly well known murder suicide.
No trial or plea. I do think the files still exist.
I will try your ideas and thank you for your advice.
I will be back if I hit a wall.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">