• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

caught Camcording

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

networkadmin72

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I worked for a theater, and was caught camcording a movie. I was fired and they told me, "we are going to let the cyber crimes handle this, you should have your camera back in 2-3weeks" well i called and they said that "i have not even heard anything from the cybercrimes people." well now its been 2.5 months and they still have the camera, and i was wondering if they were allowed to keep the cam or just the tape?

H

hexeliebe

Who is the 'they' that you are referring to?

Also, unless you hire your own attorney or file a complaint with the police about the camcorder, it is unlikely that you will see it again.

And another problem, IF you hire an attorney or file a complaint, then the theatre will probably be pissed enough to file Federal Copyright infringement suit against you. Now only will you lose the camcorder, but also about two to three years (if you're lucky) of income.

N

networkadmin72

they = manager who caught me.
Yea i was thinking ishould be happy that nothing happened to me concering the law and what not and just forget about the camera.

H

hexeliebe

I was going to say something cute but you're right of course HG.

I guess my collection of 2,000 SVCD DivX 5.0 copies should be put behind lock and key :D

JETX

"Also, unless you hire your own attorney or file a complaint with the police about the camcorder, it is unlikely that you will see it again."
*** Probably NOT correct. Send the theatre a very nice letter (certifiedd RRR) making a formal request for the return of your property (camera). They can keep the tape but have to return the camera.

"And another problem, IF you hire an attorney or file a complaint, then the theatre will probably be pissed enough to file Federal Copyright infringement suit against you."
*** Wrong. The theatre does not own the copyright. The theatre could notify the distributor or copyright holder of your action, but they would probably not do anything (unless they chose to make an example of this).

"Now only will you lose the camcorder, but also about two to three years (if you're lucky) of income."
*** Again, not correct. If there is any legal action at all (unlikely), your only 'damage' would be the penalty for the recording itself. And since you didn't succeed in your copying (at least THAT movie), there aren't any real 'damages' that could be claimed.

Write the theatre a letter. Get your camera back. Accept whatever may happen. Learn from it.

N

networkadmin72

well i just called the manager guy (wow it was kinda scary)
and he said that the theater was purchased by another company and that the new company was tired of having it in the safe and it had to stay on the law to finally come pick it up which was 4days ago. now the DA or something has it, and he thinks they are not really going after it but i kinda don't want a letter in the mail like 5months down the road saying i have to appear in court. what do you think the time frame for this could possibly be?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

networkadmin72 said:
well i just called the manager guy (wow it was kinda scary)
and he said that the theater was purchased by another company and that the new company was tired of having it in the safe and it had to stay on the law to finally come pick it up which was 4days ago. now the DA or something has it, and he thinks they are not really going after it but i kinda don't want a letter in the mail like 5months down the road saying i have to appear in court. what do you think the time frame for this could possibly be?

My response:

You know what? Nobody cares anymore.

Follow your own advice/revelation - - "Yea i was thinking ishould be happy that nothing happened to me concering the law and what not and just forget about the camera."

IAAL

P

PrefersPrivacy

Truth be told- you got ripped off. The manager of the theater has your camera, and there were never any cops involved. Your boss just got himself a nice, new, free video camera, and he'll use fear and/or confusion to convince you to let him keep it.

I'd take it up with the boss in a 1-on-1 situation.

D

Desperate Siste

Hey, what about filing a report with the police, tell them that your manager stole your camera which he did and it's likely either in his office at the theatre or at his house, etc. He basically fired you so he could take your camera (unless you were screwing off so much he got tired of your crap, ha-- but that is still not justification to steal your camera). Having the seriel number will help (the receipt where you bought it, etc.). You were just testing the new camera out on break because it was new or are you saying you planned to reproduce a movie? The cops will file the report. Give it to a detective. The detective will (maybe, depends on the town/city) check the story out-- has anyone you ever known gotten stolen property back (detectives have NEVER checked pawn store receipts here, even though pawn shops are req'd to keep them). You can contact a lawyer (should do that first actually) to get a stolen property search warrant against the manager (do they have to notify the company on the premises where the search is being done? or just walk in and serve the warrant on the manager?). Depends on how much the camera was worth and how much the attorney charges for getting a warrant and suing the manager as an individual (not the company-- don't get them after you unless you do want to get the movie industry after you-- they are itching lately) for his highjacking -- it's called extortion isn't it (when someone threatens they will cause you trouble unless you give them a payoff). I wouldn't talk to the manager, that would just give him more time to hide it, etc. and embellish crap. If you can actually get an attorney (call it a civil rights issue or something- or they might take it for publicity if crazy) and if she can actually get a warrant issued (hey the manager will most definitely get fired or even arrested for extortion-- no company wants any kind of liability, so they will think up any reason to fire him) then you might right your wrong (if any) and help someone else see the error of his ways. Ha. You were wrong if you record movies to sell/cyber load, but two wrongs don't make a right. I doubt you will be prosecuted, like the other poster said, especially if you weren't going to sell the movie. But if you are a movie stealer and have uploaded and they investigate you, youa re in trouble. But it will be most interesting if you follow through with it. Go Go. ha. Your lawyer (if you could get one) would probably go after the company though too, trying to get a settlement, call it something like employee abuse or hiring theifs. Companies have so much power now though. Did you sign an agreement when your were hired not to sue them, to like go through mediation? If so, that might affect suing them, but it shouldn't effect suing this manager as an individual, should it? I doubt the company would want to protect him stealing your camera. Did he film a movie with it? Have your lawyer inquire at the D.A.'s office if there are any pending video camera type cases or any underconsideration. Just fun ideas throwing out here. Wait, call it terroism, them the govt can search anyone w/o a warrant.

laws passed at the behest of the MPAA in the past few years have made the use of a recording device to pirate a movie a CRIME. might want to call a lawyer regardless.

P

PrefersPrivacy

JETX said:
Boy, the idiots are coming out of the woodwork on this one.....
JETX, I see you've logged your 15,000th completely useless, pointless, hopeless post. Congratulations. It just wouldn't be the same without you.

CRAZYHORSE- Regarding MPAA 'laws' - show me the criminal code wherein videotaping in a theatre became a "crime." I'm VERY interested in seeing it, otherwise, feel free to STFU about things you know nothing about.

JETX

"JETX, I see you've logged your 15,000th completely useless, pointless, hopeless post. Congratulations. It just wouldn't be the same without you."
*** Thank you.

However, it would certainly have meant something if you weren't a LOWLY newbie of less than two weeks, with only TEN posts.

And in reviewing YOUR posts, I find it interesting that absolutely NONE of them provide any advice at all and are just whiney mumblings from a child.

"show me the criminal code wherein videotaping in a theatre became a "crime."
*** Are you really that stupid??? In SOME jurisdictions it is a crime.... and since you didn't put a restriction on that, here's one of them!!
California Penal Code:
"653z. (a) Every person who operates a recording device in a motion picture theater while a motion picture is being exhibited, for the purpose of recording a theatrical motion picture and without the express written authority of the owner of the motion picture theater, is guilty of a public offense and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, by a fine not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), or by both that fine and imprisonment.
(b) For the purposes of this section, the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) "Recording device" means a photographic, digital or video camera, or other audio or video recording device capable of recording the sounds and images of a motion picture or any portion of a motion picture.
(2) "Motion picture theater" means a theater or other premises in which a motion picture is exhibited.
(c) Nothing in this section shall preclude prosecution under any other provision of law."
Source: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=639-653.1

So, how about that!! Smartas$!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">