• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell phone was texting a informat, and facebook messages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ISeeU

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

Just recently roughly about 2 weeks ago, my cell phone was being used to sell weed to a individual. The individual was a informant, should I be worried about my cell phone being tracked?
The reason why I know that it was a informant is because the dealer whom was using my cell phone stated that he arrived late and discovered the individual talking to a police officer. He also used my facebook to contact the individual, I am now concerned that my facebook might be being monitored. I need advice, and some information as to if they can monitor and track the cell phone, and my facebook because of the issue. The state in which this happened is in North Dakota where Marijuana is illegal.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

Just recently roughly about 2 weeks ago, my cell phone was being used to sell weed to a individual. The individual was a informant, should I be worried about my cell phone being tracked?
The reason why I know that it was a informant is because the dealer whom was using my cell phone stated that he arrived late and discovered the individual talking to a police officer. He also used my facebook to contact the individual, I am now concerned that my facebook might be being monitored. I need advice, and some information as to if they can monitor and track the cell phone, and my facebook because of the issue. The state in which this happened is in North Dakota where Marijuana is illegal.
Why were you allowing your cell phone to be used by a dealer to sell weed? Why were you allowing your Facebook to be used by the dealer?

ISeeU

I really didnt allow it, it was at a party. He asked to use my cell phone to contact his friend for a ride and i discovered later that he was selling weed on it. My cell phone was automatically logged onto my fb so he messaged the individual also.

justalayman

well, the first thing I would suggest is to stop being involved with drugs. If what you state is true you are ripe for a search warrant for the contents of your phone and possibly premises or car. If there is one issued it could be executed at any time so leaving he drugs alone would be your best move.

I need advice, and some information as to if they can monitor and track the cell phone, and my facebook because of the issue.
they wouldn't need a warrant to observe information generally available to them (Facebook) but would need a warrant to track your phone or record your conversations. They probably have enough already to do that.

ISeeU

is this a guaranteed thing? and if so, its marijuana. I dont get scared easy I just need the truth, and the resources to prove it. Need advice on what I should do at this point. Should I remove the cell phone and destory it? My laptop is also logged into my facebook. Should I get rid of my laptop?

quincy

I really didnt allow it, it was at a party. He asked to use my cell phone to contact his friend for a ride and i discovered later that he was selling weed on it. My cell phone was automatically logged onto my fb so he messaged the individual also.
You can be implicated in a crime due to the fact that both your cell phone and your Facebook were used to contact a buyer of illegal drugs.

Here is a link to the law and penalties in North Dakota for drug use, possession and sale:

http://norml.org/laws/item/north-dakota-penalties-2

Because selling drugs can be charged as a felony, I recommend that if or when you are contacted by the police, you tell the police you wish to exercise your right to remain silent and your right to an attorney. Then remain silent and get an attorney to answer all questions for you. Do not speak to the police of your connection with the drug dealer. Say NOTHING.

Before doing anything with your cell phone or your Facebook, consult with an attorney in your area for advice and direction.

Last edited:

TigerD

is this a guaranteed thing? and if so, its marijuana. I dont get scared easy I just need the truth, and the resources to prove it. Need advice on what I should do at this point. Should I remove the cell phone and destory it? My laptop is also logged into my facebook. Should I get rid of my laptop?
1. No responsible person would advise you to dispose of evidence.
2. You are scared or you wouldn't be here.
3. You may well be being monitored.
4. Talk to an attorney and only your attorney.

TD

Last edited:

single317dad

The reason why I know that it was a informant is because the dealer whom was using my cell phone stated that he arrived late and discovered the individual talking to a police officer.
Maybe the officer was asking that person why they were loitering in the area acting suspiciously?

STEPHAN

Should I remove the cell phone and destory it?
Should I get rid of my laptop?
Deleting evidence would be stupid and would just make you look guilty.

If your story is true, you did nothing wrong and have nothing to fear.

But you are scarred and what I found is that this usually happens to people who have something to hide.

So, there must be more to the story.

BL

Me thinks he's looking for an out. He will need an attorney, because investigations can last 6 months or more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">