• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Certified Mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toddtim

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I got a letter to me certified mail. This scares me. The senders name is not recognized according to what I got from the post office on the certified mail slip unless this is the name of the postal carrier. I am hesitant to pick it up. Should I go to the post office and see who it is from if maybe I recognize the name when I go. Should I just get it and sign an illegible signature? I am even thinking maybe I should wear gloves when signing it but it is August.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I got a letter to me certified mail. This scares me. The senders name is not recognized according to what I got from the post office on the certified mail slip unless this is the name of the postal carrier. I am hesitant to pick it up. Should I go to the post office and see who it is from if maybe I recognize the name when I go. Should I just get it and sign an illegible signature? I am even thinking maybe I should wear gloves when signing it but it is August.
If it's a legal document, it's already been "served".
Why are you scared?

toddtim

can I look at who sent it first and not sign it if it looks like it could be trouble or should I just avoid it.

from http://www.equinelegalsolutions.com/blog.html
We recommend hiring a professional process server rather than relying on the service by certified or registered mail that some small claims courts allow. Most people (especially deadbeat types!) know that no good news ever arrives via registered or certified mail, so they won't sign for it. By the time you figure out that the other party isn't going to sign for the registered or certified mail, the allotted time to serve the other party has usually expired, which means you will have to go and get a new court date, then start the process of serving the other party all over again.

In addition, I did just hire a lawyer to do a check on my record as I was issued a summons a year ago that was thrown out in court. Might this be related?

toddtim

The sender's name is not recognized. This is my worry. What if someone is sending me something. the name is not even a real name.

Zigner

The sender's name is not recognized. This is my worry. What if someone is sending me something. the name is not even a real name.
Are you for real? Someone IS sending you something. It is in your best interest to pick it up, unless you are hiding from something or someone.

toddtim

it is from a Hotel Management company. I called the post office and they told me as I could not read the . I have no idea why. I even called the company and they had no idea on why I got this. I still have not gone to the post office as I am at work

Zigner

Have you stayed at a hotel recently?
Pick up the letter. Let's just assume that they are trying to bill you for something. If ignore it, they will you assume you are, well, ignoring it. They may then turn to legal remedies.
If you pick it up now, you can head that off by communicating with them early.

Then again, maybe you were entered in a contest for a free week get-away during your last hotel visit. This could be the notice that you've won. :D

toddtim

Have you stayed at a hotel recently?
Pick up the letter. Let's just assume that they are trying to bill you for something. If ignore it, they will you assume you are, well, ignoring it. They may then turn to legal remedies.
If you pick it up now, you can head that off by communicating with them early.

Then again, maybe you were entered in a contest for a free week get-away during your last hotel visit. This could be the notice that you've won. :D

I looked at the hotels they operate and NO I have not stayed at one of those. Why would they certify it?

Zigner

I looked at the hotels they operate and NO I have not stayed at one of those. Why would they certify it?
Maybe they got the wrong guy. If that's the case, then it's in your best interest to pick up the letter so you can make sure the mistake is corrected NOW, not through the court system.

You've received correct advice - I'm done here.

toddtim

I know this may be tiring but I appreciate your advice. MY last name is indecisevely written on the certified mail notice but they do not even have my FIRST NAME. They only have my first initial. They do not even have my full first name.

toddtim

they have my first initial and part of my last name. My worry is opening it what the heck could this be if they have such little info on me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">