• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with drug possession and don't know why

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jasondean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Was at my gf house and had a seizure I had oxycodone on me but without my bottle which is old but same drug for my back. They said either your going to jail or hospital so I chose hospital after not finding my bottle, while I was looking for it they decided to search my gf house without permission. They never read me my rights never gave me a ticket didn't take me to jail any ideas on what the deal is here? I very much appreciate any help thank you so much!

FlyingRon

What you need is an attorney.

Despite what you think you learned from Adam 12, it is not necessary for them to read you rights unless they wish to question you AFTER you are arrested.

There's not enough information presented here to determine if the search was legitimate.

Just because you once were issued a prescription for a drug doesn't give you carte blanche to possess it illegally.
Why you were charged is that there is probable cause that you committed a crime. You had constructive possession of a controlled substance reasonably believed that you did not have a script for it.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Was at my gf house and had a seizure I had oxycodone on me but without my bottle which is old but same drug for my back. They said either your going to jail or hospital so I chose hospital after not finding my bottle, while I was looking for it they decided to search my gf house without permission. They never read me my rights never gave me a ticket didn't take me to jail any ideas on what the deal is here? I very much appreciate any help thank you so much!
I agree with FlyingRon that you would be smart to consult with an attorney if you were charged with possession.

If you have proof that the oxycodone pill(s) you had on you were prescribed to you, there is a good chance any possession charge could be dismissed (unless, perhaps, you were carrying a large quantity of pills). Prescribed drugs should always be carried in their original bottles.

Did your girlfriend call 911 when you had your seizure, and did both the police and EMS respond to the call?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">