• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with fake crime??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snext2thea

What is the name of your state? PENNSYLVANIA

lets make things short

911 is accidently called on my fone by my smaller brother (cause hes an idiot)
15mins later...5 police are at my house they ask about the 911 call...i explain
they ask to come in
i say no
they come in anyhow all 5
they begin asking me who is downstairs in my basement
2 friends i reply
the cops go into the basement...without my permission
they say it smells like pot and they are bringing in a drug dog
the drug dog finds nothin
one of the policeman finds a tinfoil pipe on a shelf...filled with tobaco
no marijuana was found...the tinfoil pipe was never used...and most importantly was filled with tobacco

my citation i recieved read
disorderly conduct:
reason: basement smelled like marijuana

can i seriously be charged for this, just because one officer said he smelled pot?
there was NO POT!
my hearing is today
your advice...

moburkes

I guess you'll find out in a few hours. But, you certainly don't tell the police that they can't come in, when they were dispatched by 9-1-1.

snext2thea

Can i be charged with smelling like marijuana?

police came to my house for an accident 911 call
came in
claimed the basement smelled like weed
brought a drug search dog
and cited me
the citation read
basement smelled like marijuana
can i seriously be charged for that

marbol

I guess you'll find out in a few hours. But, you certainly don't tell the police that they can't come in, when they were dispatched by 9-1-1.
Huh? AM i missing something here? If I didnt' call 911 - and someone else did and just "said" they need police at my address, can they come in without warrant?

Or in other words, can the police just come on in and just "say" they got a 911 call when none really happened?

The Occultist

If 911 is called, they have to enter in case there is an emergency, regardless of what people at the front door, who may be afraid of getting in trouble for being related to the emergency, may tell them.

On a smaller scale, it's like making prank calls to 911. They have to respond. Just in case.

moburkes

Huh? AM i missing something here? If I didnt' call 911 - and someone else did and just "said" they need police at my address, can they come in without warrant?

Or in other words, can the police just come on in and just "say" they got a 911 call when none really happened?
What the heck are you talking about?

Indiana Filer

If 911 is called, they have to enter in case there is an emergency, regardless of what people at the front door, who may be afraid of getting in trouble for being related to the emergency, may tell them.

On a smaller scale, it's like making prank calls to 911. They have to respond. Just in case.
My old neighbor, Psychowench, used my phone several times (before our restraining order) to call 911 to accuse people of various things. (None ever proven, BTW.) A couple times, she hung up after only saying a couple words to dispatch. (She's truly and completely nuts. I just might kill anyone who tells her where our new house is located, since I do not want to have to deal with her crap ever again.)

Even though I work with the guys at the Sheriff's Department though my job as a Probation Officer, and even though Dispatch has my phone number written down right in the Dispatch center next to the telephone, and even though my name came up on the screen when she called, and even though, between my husband and I, we've taught ALL of the dispatch officers, dispatch STILL sent someone to my house following her hang-up calls to make sure that everything was OK. (Yes, it's a long rambling sentence :cool: I'm in a rambling mood.)

They still had an officer come by even though they phoned back to speak to us to make sure that everything was OK. There's always the chance that someone was forcing us say that everything was OK. Unless they can verify that everything is OK, if something were to happen because they took the situation at face value, there would be serious repercussions for the Sheriff's Department. And those guys would seriously feel bad that they had the opportunity to help someone, but failed to perform their duties, allowing who knows what sort of dastardly things to occur.

The Occultist

My old neighbor, Psychowench, used my phone several times (before our restraining order) to call 911 to accuse people of various things. (None ever proven, BTW.) A couple times, she hung up after only saying a couple words to dispatch. (She's truly and completely nuts. I just might kill anyone who tells her where our new house is located, since I do not want to have to deal with her crap ever again.)

Even though I work with the guys at the Sheriff's Department though my job as a Probation Officer, and even though Dispatch has my phone number written down right in the Dispatch center next to the telephone, and even though my name came up on the screen when she called, and even though, between my husband and I, we've taught ALL of the dispatch officers, dispatch STILL sent someone to my house following her hang-up calls to make sure that everything was OK. (Yes, it's a long rambling sentence :cool: I'm in a rambling mood.)

They still had an officer come by even though they phoned back to speak to us to make sure that everything was OK. There's always the chance that someone was forcing us say that everything was OK. Unless they can verify that everything is OK, if something were to happen because they took the situation at face value, there would be serious repercussions for the Sheriff's Department. And those guys would seriously feel bad that they had the opportunity to help someone, but failed to perform their duties, allowing who knows what sort of dastardly things to occur.
I personally feel safer knowing that officers respond no matter what. That's just me though. :D

JustAPal00

Did you all read about the little girl who's mom gave her an old cell phone that still worked, but the service had been shut off? Since 911 works on all phones even without service, she called 911 over 200 times. They couldn't get her to tell them where she was. Finally they bribed her with McDonalds!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">