• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

charged for lawyer I didn't know I had

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lesley123456

CT

I was recently caught trying to steal dress from Walmart- my fault, I know. I cooperated with security, gave them the dress, I let Walmart take a picture of me and they said they were letting me go. If I tried to do it again they said I'd have major fines, but they told me I was all set for now.

Today I get a $250 fee from a lawyer in NY for the whole incident. Where did this come from, what do I do? I'm working three jobs and struggling as it as. Please, if you have advice I'm all ears

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
CT

I was recently caught trying to steal dress from Walmart- my fault, I know. I cooperated with security, gave them the dress, I let Walmart take a picture of me and they said they were letting me go. If I tried to do it again they said I'd have major fines, but they told me I was all set for now.

Today I get a $250 fee from a lawyer in NY for the whole incident. Where did this come from, what do I do? I'm working three jobs and struggling as it as. Please, if you have advice I'm all ears
It's perfectly allowable and common. That's the cost of theft.

Antigone*

CT

This is not for a lawyer you had, this is a civil penalty because you're a thief. It is because of people like you that companies Walmart have to hire security and instal security cameras.

Pay the fee and keep those sticky fingers to yourself.

Your title is so moronic it is quite laughable.

Some Random Guy

charged for lawyer I didn't know I had
The letter is not from YOUR lawyer. It is from WALMART's lawyer.

This is what is known as a civil demand. States have laws on the books which allow merchants to charge shoplifters with fines of several hundred dollars (amounts vary by state) to cover the cost of thedft and security to prevent theft.

Most states also have provisions to add the cost of collecting the civil demand. This means that if you don't pay right away they will tack on fees for trying to collect from you. Then you will eventually get sued and the charges for suing you will be added to the bill. So its best to pay the $250 as soon as possible.

Note that this civil demand has nothing to do with criminal charges. There is nothing that prevents a merchant from issuing a civil demand and also filing charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">