• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

charged for the same crime in two different jurisdictions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sna1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I live in Williamson county, but committed a crime in Travis county. I was arrested in Williamson county by Williamson county police, and was told that Travis county forwarded my case to Williamson county since that is my county of residence. I was booked in Williamson County, a court date was set, and I had a lawyer who was taking care of things and got the date pushed back. Two weeks later, I am told that Travis county, where I committed the crime originally, has a warrant out for my arrest for missing their court date, a court date I was never even told about. I got arrested again for the same crime, booked, and another court date was set.

Tl;Dr: I have a court date in two different counties for the same charge. How is this legal?

FlyingRon

You can be charged multiple times, you can only be tried once.
Let your lawyer know what is going on. He should resolve the duplicate proceeding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">