• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charges added later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kiraral

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Hi everyone. I am wondering about charges added after bail has been posted. For example, say you are pulled over and arrested for possession. You go get booked, and make bail and leave. But say, for example, the police tested a substance they found in your car and the lab determines it is another, different illegal drug. But, you have already posted bail and left before that charge is added. How would you be notified of the addition?

I very much appreciate anyone's help!

dave33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Hi everyone. I am wondering about charges added after bail has been posted. For example, say you are pulled over and arrested for possession. You go get booked, and make bail and leave. But say, for example, the police tested a substance they found in your car and the lab determines it is another, different illegal drug. But, you have already posted bail and left before that charge is added. How would you be notified of the addition?

I very much appreciate anyone's help!
Hopefully with simply amending the charge. You could also be re-arrested.

Kiraral

Thank you both!
Would I be correct in thinking that they are not obligated to inform you of additional charges before the arraignment (like via phone or mail or something)?

Edited to add a second question (I mistakenly made a new post for it, so am moving it here to stay in one thread)

My question is, if someone comes with you for moral support on the first court date, the arraignment, what details about the charges will they hear, if any? Is it possible for them, or anyone, to get any details about your case, including what's the evidence against you is? Are they allowed to go with you to speak with the lawyer of the day or for the actual arraignment?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
There is no presentation of evidence at an arraignment. The charges are read to you and in most cases they are read right from the documents that charge you.

Arraignments are public court proceedings. Anyone can come with you. When you ask about speaking with the attorney, who are you talking about? The prosecutor or YOUR attorney?

Kiraral

There is no presentation of evidence at an arraignment. The charges are read to you and in most cases they are read right from the documents that charge you.

Arraignments are public court proceedings. Anyone can come with you. When you ask about speaking with the attorney, who are you talking about? The prosecutor or YOUR attorney?
Thank you. So they would read the actually charge, but not the evidence that lead to the charge (aka they would read somethjng like "unlawful possession class z" as opposed to unlawful possession class z, 4 oz"

I was talking about he lawyer of the day. It is my understanding that in Maine at the arraignment there is a lawyer of the day (basicialy a vountenter) who can can talk to for free, before you are arraigned.

FlyingRon

I'm unfamiliar with Maine courts but typically all that is mentioned is the brief title of the charge and perhaps the statute number and the date. They will then ask you how you plea (NOT GUILTY is the answer unless you have convincing legal counsel as to what to do otherwise). You can request a public defender if you are indigent. If not, you should already have counsel. There aren't going to be a lot of details. Arraignments are typically production line affairs. They may also ask if this is intended to be a jury trial or not, etc... and set the date for the next proceeding. If you were already out on a summons, they probably will just continue the terms of your release until the trial. If you were in custody or bailed out, they may review those release terms at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">