• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

check forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L&M

What is the name of your state?NH

I live in New Hampshire. My girlfriend and I had a very bad drug oblem and forged about 6-7 checks that were from 3 different people. The total amount is about $3,400. I am in a drug rehab which is long term I have been here for around 2 months and have about 2 months left. I found out my girlfriend left her rehab after only 3 weeks and has already been charged for one of the checks. My question is will I definetly do jail time or does the fact I am going thru long term treatment help me? Also with these types of cases would she be able to get off scott free if she gives them info on me?

Kane

Whether you can get probation often revolves around your criminal history - whether you've been arrested or convicted before. If you haven't, you probably have a good shot at probation. Showing a willingness (and the ability) to pay back the money you stole will help.

It's unlikely they'll offer her any special deals for cooperating, although it can't be ruled out. It mainly depends on whether they can make the case against you without her help. If you passed any of the checks, that probably won't be a problem.

outonbail

Allot of what will come out of your illegal activities, can depend on your criminal past as well as your girlfriends (if any)
Also with these types of cases would she be able to get off scott free if she gives them info on me?
You can pretty much count on her giving you up. She will cry those alligator tears and do whatever the cops ask if she believes it will get her back to her dope sooner.

Will it? Who knows, it's up to the cops, the DA and the Judge. But I would think her only chance of getting off scott free will take more than just her dropping a dime on you. Probably take a few good drug busts coming from her before they would just kick her lose. Most likely they will promise her the world, but in the end, let her view it from a cell.

A cell very similar to the one you will be looking out of when the police come to get your rendition of the situation.
You committed the crime and you benifited from the proceeds of said crime, even if the proceeds were to supply the two of you with drugs.
Because your now in rehab, you do not become excused from all the acts of stupidity you carried out when you were high.

You should talk to an attorney and see if they can arrange a plea ASAP. Ask if perhaps they can even arrange for some of the time your in rehab getting applied towards the possible sentence. Not sure if this is possible in NH, but I've heard of it happening in a CA case.

JETX

L&M said:
will I definetly do jail time or does the fact I am going thru long term treatment help me? Also with these types of cases would she be able to get off scott free if she gives them info on me?
And now for a legally accurate answer!!
No one can GUESS what might, or might not, happen to you. It depends ENTIRELY on the exact charges, your criminal history (if any), the court or prosecutor and YOUR defense attorney.

L&M

outonbail said:
Allot of what will come out of your illegal activities, can depend on your criminal past as well as your girlfriends (if any)

You can pretty much count on her giving you up. She will cry those alligator tears and do whatever the cops ask if she believes it will get her back to her dope sooner.

Will it? Who knows, it's up to the cops, the DA and the Judge. But I would think her only chance of getting off scott free will take more than just her dropping a dime on you. Probably take a few good drug busts coming from her before they would just kick her lose. Most likely they will promise her the world, but in the end, let her view it from a cell.

A cell very similar to the one you will be looking out of when the police come to get your rendition of the situation.
You committed the crime and you benifited from the proceeds of said crime, even if the proceeds were to supply the two of you with drugs.
Because your now in rehab, you do not become excused from all the acts of stupidity you carried out when you were high.

You should talk to an attorney and see if they can arrange a plea ASAP. Ask if perhaps they can even arrange for some of the time your in rehab getting applied towards the possible sentence. Not sure if this is possible in NH, but I've heard of it happening in a CA case.

I know being in long term doesnt excuse me, some people think a judge may be more likely to go easy whereas I made a commitment to fix my life. Also 2 of the 3 people I stole from are now willing to testify on my behalf one is family and one is a good friend and they realize that me in my right mind wouldnt commit such an act. Also everyone has been paid back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">