+ Reply to Thread
    martmart42 is offline Junior Member

Child Support Warrant

Wisconsin

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows the laws for warrants in Wisconsin. I may have a commitment warrant for child support and I was wondering if I was to go to California with my mother to make some money to pay my back child support if my Wisconsin warrant would show up if I was pulled over in California. Remember, this warrant is for child support, not for murder or a more serious offense. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by martmart42; 09-17-2006 at 02:35 AM.
    racer72 is offline Senior Member
    If the warrant is in the NCIC database, you could be arrested and held anywhere in the US. Whether the case is civil or criminal is irrelevent. A typical scenario is you are pulled over in California for a minor traffic offense. The warrant shows up when the cop runs your name and you are arrested. A tow truck is called and your vehicle is impounded. You sit in jail for a while, it could be up to 30 days while Wisconsin decides to extradite you. It is unlikely a writ of extradition will come through so you are released and you have to pay the towing and storage for your vehicle. Rinse and repeat everytime you come in contact with a police officer. My BIL is a good example of the above. He had an unpaid speeding ticket from Chino, California. He was pulled over on Interstate 5 near Olympia, Washington for a burned out tail light. He sat in the Lewis County jail for 14 days before California decided not to extradite. It then cost him over $400 to get his car back. It all depends, do you feel lucky?
    If you feel my answer is rude, mean, snarky or in anyway not to your liking, I did my job. You don't need to tell me.

No private messages, I do not reply to them.
    CdwJava is offline Senior Member
    Also, having a warrant can result in suspension of a driver's license (even in CA), rejection for a decent job, rejection for loans and public assistance, and - of course - arrest.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM
    As far as I know they won't suspend your license in WI for child support. At least, they haven't yet and I am 6 grand behind.
    They do in CA. if you move out here, get a CA license, and she seeks relief in a CA court, your license could be suspended here. And once you move here, you become a resident and have to get a license.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Gotcha. Thanks all.
    fairisfair is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martmart42
    As far as I know they won't suspend your license in WI for child support. At least, they haven't yet and I am 6 grand behind.
    Yeah, well, that's where you are wrong, see page 58, column 1,
    [url]http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code/dwd/dwd043.pdf[/url]

Looks like you have just been lucky so far. Or you are suspended and don't know it.
    acmb05 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martmart42
    Wisconsin

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows the laws for warrants in Wisconsin. I may have a commitment warrant for child support and I was wondering if I was to go to California with my mother to make some money to pay my back child support if my Wisconsin warrant would show up if I was pulled over in California. Remember, this warrant is for child support, not for murder or a more serious offense. Thanks in advance.
    What would you consider more serious than murder?
    Quote Originally Posted by acmb05
    What would you consider more serious than murder?
    I think he was refering to an offense more serious than failure to pay child support.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,