• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

martmart42

Wisconsin

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows the laws for warrants in Wisconsin. I may have a commitment warrant for child support and I was wondering if I was to go to California with my mother to make some money to pay my back child support if my Wisconsin warrant would show up if I was pulled over in California. Remember, this warrant is for child support, not for murder or a more serious offense. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

racer72

If the warrant is in the NCIC database, you could be arrested and held anywhere in the US. Whether the case is civil or criminal is irrelevent. A typical scenario is you are pulled over in California for a minor traffic offense. The warrant shows up when the cop runs your name and you are arrested. A tow truck is called and your vehicle is impounded. You sit in jail for a while, it could be up to 30 days while Wisconsin decides to extradite you. It is unlikely a writ of extradition will come through so you are released and you have to pay the towing and storage for your vehicle. Rinse and repeat everytime you come in contact with a police officer. My BIL is a good example of the above. He had an unpaid speeding ticket from Chino, California. He was pulled over on Interstate 5 near Olympia, Washington for a burned out tail light. He sat in the Lewis County jail for 14 days before California decided not to extradite. It then cost him over $400 to get his car back. It all depends, do you feel lucky?

CdwJava

Also, having a warrant can result in suspension of a driver's license (even in CA), rejection for a decent job, rejection for loans and public assistance, and - of course - arrest.

- Carl

martmart42

As far as I know they won't suspend your license in WI for child support. At least, they haven't yet and I am 6 grand behind.

CdwJava

They do in CA. if you move out here, get a CA license, and she seeks relief in a CA court, your license could be suspended here. And once you move here, you become a resident and have to get a license.

- Carl

acmb05

martmart42 said:
Wisconsin

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows the laws for warrants in Wisconsin. I may have a commitment warrant for child support and I was wondering if I was to go to California with my mother to make some money to pay my back child support if my Wisconsin warrant would show up if I was pulled over in California. Remember, this warrant is for child support, not for murder or a more serious offense. Thanks in advance.
What would you consider more serious than murder?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">