• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

choosing an attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bornagain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Crime: retail theft, first offense, <150, summary offense.

I am in the process of looking for an attorney and I would like to know on how to go about choosing one. I have already narrowed it down to three. Attorney fee was the first process of elimination, with only one asking for a whopping $3500, all others were in the same price range of about $400-$700. IS this something I should be concerned about. Is it higher the price better the attorney?

aside from the obvious, seasoned experienced defense lawyer, what other qualities should be a factor?

Same county, where the crime was committed/tried?
former assistant district attorney for County?
How well he is known in the county and/or judge?

Also, I was told that an attorney from another county is not in my best interest. He will basically be shunned from not being known in the tight knit community.

Thank you in advance for you answers.

dave33

If you can get an attorney to represent you for $5oo they do not sound very concerned. I would say if the counselor closest in proximity meets your level of competence, give him a shot. Good a guess as any. goodluck.

calatty

Ask him or her how long s/he has been in practice, how much of his/her practice is criminal, and how many criminal cases of this type s/he has handled. Call the PA State Bar Lawyer's Referral Service and ask for a referral to a criminal attorney. Choosing the cheapest attorney is not a good selection method.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">