• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizens arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Centurion

I want to know how to make a citizens arrest, specifically for Drunk drivers. I was driving out in the early hours of the morning, and have witnessed what appeared to be a drunk driver, on several occassions. I would like to know how to go about making a citizens arrest for a drunk driver, what exactly can I do and not do. How to report it and any more specific information on this. I see an extreme problem with drunk drivers, and want to exercise my rights as a citizen. I am sure the laws vary from state to state. I am in the state of Washington, also if I could get information about this in the state of Oregon.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

racer72

The best thing to do is call 911. Get as much information about the vehicle and driver and forward that info to the police. You will be opening yourself to getting into serious trouble if one of your "arrests" goes wrong. You do not have the authority to make a traffic stop and detaining someone against their will, even if you suspect a law has been broken, could cause kidnapping charges to be filed against you. Or worse, one of the drunks pulls a gun on you. Is it worth losing your life over? Dealing with drunk drivers requires special training and skills, leave it to the police.

C

Centurion

Thank you racer72. That is a much safer plan. I just feel that the police take so long to respond, and you've made many good points. I havn't really thought about the safety issue as you have mentioned. I will continue to do what you have advised, in calling 911 and getting as much information as posisble until I can find any more detailed information about this. I have searched the government's website and come up with nothing. Thank's for your reply.

Son of Slam

racer72 said:
You will be opening yourself to getting into serious trouble if one of your "arrests" goes wrong. .. Or worse, one of the drunks pulls a gun on you. Is it worth losing your life over? Dealing with drunk drivers requires special training and skills, leave it to the police.

Safety is not that much of a concern if arrests are done right with the right equipment. First, since you will be after people who are driving, you need a fast car. A good seat belt system and 400 to 500 horsepower is recommended. A roll cage is a plus. Next you should have a flashing red light to let them know to pull over. A load siren is recommended as drunks may not notice your light. A siren is also handy if you need to run stop signs and red lights if your drunk dose not stop for you. A good spotlight can sometimes be used to blind the drunk by shining it at his review mirror. You will need a handgun to show your drunks who's boss. Go for stopping power not fire power. A .357, .44 or .45 is much more intimidating than a 9mm or .380. A good shotgun with slugs can be used to blow tires if your drunk won't stop or crash in a timely manor. You will also need a baton and a set of handcuffs to control your drunks until the police can get there and take them to jail.

Good luck and may the force be with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">