• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

civil suit case question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xanomaly

This is a question about VA law. How would I know if the opposing side in a civil suit has obtained information about me through a subpoena? For instance, if they have a subpoena to get information from my doctor, would they need to inform me? Would my doctor inform me (or is that even allowed)?

Thanks much!
XanomalyWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

This is a question about VA law. How would I know if the opposing side in a civil suit has obtained information about me through a subpoena? For instance, if they have a subpoena to get information from my doctor, would they need to inform me? Would my doctor inform me (or is that even allowed)?

Thanks much!
XanomalyWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
A doctor would usually, as a courtesy, inform you if he has been subpoenaed. He is not required by law to do so.

But more details are needed. What is the situation?

xanomaly

@Racer - Not much but I wasn't exactly sure where to put stuff for subpoenas.

@Proserpina - It's just something I was wondering about. So if I understand correctly, the opposing side can subpoena just about anything without my knowledge. I'm guessing this is the case in instances where they can prove the subpoena has something to do with the case.

Thanks!

Edit:

@Racer - On second thought, I guess subpoenas are kind of like searches in a way. It allows someone to search through my doctor records, utility bills, phone bills, etc. even if it is a little more targeted.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you looked around you would have seen a section on civil litigation. If you post in the right section you'll probably get more help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">