• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

clarification for 'double jeopardy'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LegalQuestions

Hi all. I need some clarification and maybe even some points on this issue.

My GF and her family lives in Houston, TX. In 2000, her dad went into clinical depression. In 09/2004, several homes in the area were burned down, and the police were questioning people. Since my GF_s dad was suffering from clinical depression he wasn_t answering questions properly which led the police to believe he might be the arsonist. They asked him to come down to the police station voluntarily and the police ended up questioning him for more then 7 hours (without giving him a break and letting him speak to a lawyer or family members). They put so much pressure on him that he admitted to everything. The police did not know he was diagnosed with clinical depression. They locked him for several months while the courts set up a trail date for early 2005. In court the jury found him innocent because the police had NO evidence other then the forced admission by interrogation.

Her dad_s condition is even worse now because of what the police did. Their court appointed lawyer wants to have the courts pay for the medical treatment so he wants to re-open the case. Now, my GF is worried if they go back to trail then her dad will (1) have to go through all this again, which can make his condition even worse, and (2) what if the courts or the jury finds him guilty of that arson crime. I told her about _double jeopardy_ where her dad can_t be tried for the same crime twice. From my understanding, _double jeopardy_ means if the person went to trial and was found innocent, they cannot be tried again for that same crime again, is that correct? If not, then does it mean if her court appointed lawyer tries to re-open the case then her dad can be tried again, and face jail time? What would be the reason for trying to re-open the case?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

The current case will be civil. The previous case was criminal. There is no double jeopardy.

Simply put, double jeopardy means you can only be tried criminally once for the same crime.

LegalQuestions

BelizeBreeze, thanks for the reply. So what does this mean? Can this mean her dad might be re-tried in any way and can he face jail time again? Does the civil case refer to holding the Houston Police department accountable for this? I mean they interrograted someone without a lawyer and then forced him to admit to something he did not do (doing so made his condition far worse).

I just spoke to her now and she verified that the police had NO evidence other then the forced admission.

BelizeBreeze

BelizeBreeze, thanks for the reply. So what does this mean? Can this mean her dad might be re-tried in any way and can he face jail time again? Does the civil case refer to holding the Houston Police department accountable for this? I mean they interrograted someone without a lawyer and then forced him to admit to something he did not do (doing so made his condition far worse).

I just spoke to her now and she verified that the police had NO evidence other then the forced admission.
as I said, the criminal trial found him not guilty. They cannot try him again on the same charges. The attorney is talking about a civil trial here or at minimum, a motion for expenses.

LegalQuestions

BelizeBreeze, thank you very much for clearing this up.

In the civil case or motion for expenses, can the courts request to see her dad? In these cases is there like a prosecutor or anyone like that who would cross-examine her dad or anything like that? Generally what does a civil case or motion for expenses entail?

Thanks a lot.

LegalQuestions

I just called my GF and she remembers her lawyer saying that he wants to reopen the criminal case. Why would he want to do that? Especially if the lawyer won the criminal case? Can he even reopen the criminal case?

My GF will call the lawyer tonight for an update.

Some Random Guy

Just remember that double jeopardy prevents him from being retried for the exact same crimes again. Since you were talking about a series of arson fires, was he put on trial for each of the fires or only some of them? He could be arrested and tried for any fire for which he has not already tried.

LegalQuestions

SomeRandomGuy, from what I know he was tried for all the fires at the same time. Even if he wasn't tried for one fire, the fact that the police has NO evidence on him except a forced admission through interogations without a lawyer automatically throws the case out, no?

Some Random Guy

You are correct that they cannot convict without evidence. However, from a double jeopardy standpoint, they are not barred by law from prosecuting him for offenses that he was never tried for.

mb94

Your gf's father's lawyer can't open up any criminal cases, only the DA is allowed to bring criminal cases. Your gf needs to find out, for sure, if the lawyer is talking about a civil or criminal case. Have her use those words exactly. If he says a criminal case then ask him who he wants to bring the criminal case against (I sort of wonder if he's talking about a criminal case against the police).

LegalQuestions

Thanks for the advice. My GF will be calling the layer tonight to get some clarity. I, myself, wondered why would mt GF's lawyer reopen a (criminal) case, esp one that he won. I think she was confused when the lawyer tried to explain it to her. If anything, I will see if I can call the lawyer myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">