• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Class 6 Felony CreditCard Fraud 1st offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

never_again

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi i am 26 years old and i have been charged with a class 6 felony for credit card fraud. this is my first offense, never been arrested, and have no other tickets on my record.

I am scared to death because i have never been in this situation before. i cooperated with the investigators when they came to my home. and when one of the investigators called me to inform me of the warrants for my arrest, i IMMEDIATELY went to the PD to get the matter taken care of. they did not come to my house to arrest me because i cooperated the first time and they told me they would notify me.

I was booked and put in a holding cell for several hours and i cooperated while there.

I am looking to go back to school and finish my education and start a clean slate.

i have several questions:

1) what are the chances of the charges being dropped to a lower offense since this is my first time and i have no record?
2) will i have to do more time since i turned myself in IMMEDIATELY upon notification and already spent time?
3) what kind of fines will i have?
4) can i make a plea?
5) also, i have no money to afford a lawyer, what can i do?

any information or advice is greatly appreciated as my court date is within the next few weeks.

outonbail

How much was the value of the merchandise you purchased?
Who's credit card did you use?
How did you get the card?
How were the police able to track the purchases to you?

never_again

total charges were $2,000 and purchase was voided
the credit card number i wrote down, and surprised number was correct as it was done in a hurry. i didn't search for a number. don't even know why i chose to do it.
i do not know the person
tracked using computer information as it was done on computer.

i am scared to death because i have never EVER done anything like this. and i have been around credit cards my entire working career and have never tried nor even thought of doing something like this.

i needed money for school and it was a split second decision that i thought didn't go through as i canceled (or thought cancelled) before it could finish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">