• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Class B misdemeanor for retail theft in Utah

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dayofliberation

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I was caught shoplifting 68 dollars worth of merchandise @ the Macys in Layton Utah. It was my first offense so i was "arrested", given a citation to appear in court, which is tomorrow btw. I then recieved a civil demand letter in the mail from Macys asking for me to pay a fine, which was to be up to and no more than 300. The fine was for 368, the 300 max fine and the 68 from the merchandise im assuming. So i paid that within 2 weeks and before the due date. So i have my court date tomorrow, no attorney and am planning on pleading guilty obviously since i am. Because i am a first offender, im hoping they will go lightly, although i have no idea what to expect. And please, i dont want any responses back telling me how much i need an attorney, ive made my decision an dim not going back. Thanks!

donkort

An attorney might be able to help

Hello there,

If you plead guilty to this charge, there will be a misdemeanor on your record, meaning you will have a CRIMINAL record. This leads to difficulty getting jobs, obtaining mortgages/loans, and many other things. An attorney could possibly influence the prosecutor/judge to offer you a plea-bargain to a lesser charge (not a misdemeanor/criminal offense), or offer an diversion program (where you go on probation, pay fees, then the offense disappears from your record). If you could prove you cannot afford an attorney, a public defender will be provided for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">