• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clearing my criminal history

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chris1978

What is the name of your state? California

I am currently 28, and I have 2 older arrests I want to clear off my record. I obviosly dont have money for a lawyer and would like to find out if I can fill out and submit the apporiate forms to accomplish this on my own.

My first arrest was as a minor for receiving stolen property, I was given 6 months and completed probation as a juvenile, but it is still on my record.

The second arrest occured in 2001 in a different county (but still in CA) where there was no complaint filed for battery and false ID.

I recently got my criminal history report, which lists these offenses. But I am having a hard time trying to figure out the apporiate forms/processes for getting these cleared(via either expungement or sealed or whatever).

Thanks for the help, dont really know where else to turn.

Chris

seniorjudge

Chris1978 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am currently 28, and I have 2 older arrests I want to clear off my record. I obviosly dont have money for a lawyer and would like to find out if I can fill out and submit the apporiate forms to accomplish this on my own.

My first arrest was as a minor for receiving stolen property, I was given 6 months and completed probation as a juvenile, but it is still on my record.

The second arrest occured in 2001 in a different county (but still in CA) where there was no complaint filed for battery and false ID.

I recently got my criminal history report, which lists these offenses. But I am having a hard time trying to figure out the apporiate forms/processes for getting these cleared(via either expungement or sealed or whatever).

Thanks for the help, dont really know where else to turn.

Chris

Expungement/pardon

There are several thousand questions on this forum similar to yours. Thus, I have prepared a standard answer.

Standard answer: Expungement is generally granted for illegal arrests or unlawful convictions. Generally, pardon mean you are forgiven for the crime but it remains on your record.

The usefulness or effectiveness of either procedure is generally worthless.

Check with the governor or attorney general of your state to see how you can go about either of these procedures. Check with the Attorney General or the President for federal expungement or pardon.

You must remember that there may be private background check companies that have past offenses on their databases; those reports will never be expunged.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=848776#post848776

http://www.uslegalforms.com/lawdigest/expungement-of-criminal-records-law.htm

Stand by...others may offer more advice.

Chris1978

google

When I google expungment, I get thousands of lawyers that say they can clear my record for money, generally over $1000. I found some interesting site that details my rights to have the records cleared (basically I have no convictions, just an arrest and probation as a minor), I have to basically file with the court in the district the offense happened, and the law states it can only cost up to $120 for filing and fees, but they list no forms or procedures to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">