• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collateral property collection // threat of warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srfng365

What is the name of your state? New York

I have a personal loan with a local bank for the purchase of an automobile. The title is in my name and there are no recorded liens.

I moved from the U.S. to Canada and legally exported the car from the U.S. and legally imported it into to canada, including registration with local authorities.

My family members have been receiving threatening phone calls from an insurance company that represents that it is paying the debt to the bank, that the title is being reissued in their name, and that they will be issuing a warrant for my arrest for grand theft auto. I have received no correspondence in writing from the bank or the insurance company. I have also received no phone calls or otherwise directly.

Does an insurance agency have the authority to have a warrant issued to collect a debt?

thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">