• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Newspapers & Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shorecc

New York State.

Hello,

I have been published in a college newspaper, they informed the readers I have been kicked out of college for selling marijuana.

Now the problem is, this article has been their banner headline on the newspaper's webpage since August. Is there a limit to how long they can publish this information?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
New York State.

Hello,

I have been published in a college newspaper, they informed the readers I have been kicked out of college for selling marijuana.

Now the problem is, this article has been their banner headline on the newspaper's webpage since August. Is there a limit to how long they can publish this information?
As long as it's true...

CdwJava

Were you kicked out of college for selling marijuana?

If so, they can certainly publish it for as long as they feel it is newsworthy.

Why would a student being being booted from school for slinging dope be that big of a deal for a student paper (which usually deals with lesser issues anyway)? Either you were particularly noteworthy, or, it was a lot of dope.

- Carl

mrgonzo

Why would a student being being booted from school for slinging dope be that big of a deal for a student paper (which usually deals with lesser issues anyway)? Either you were particularly noteworthy, or, it was a lot of dope.
I was curious about this too, I mean most colleges are so liberal, why would they want to crucify someone selling pot? I could almost imagine some college papers siding with you.

Its very odd, your definitely leaving something out, can we have a link to the newspaper?

CdwJava

I was curious about this too, I mean most colleges are so liberal, why would they want to crucify someone selling pot? I could almost imagine some college papers siding with you.

Its very odd, your definitely leaving something out, can we have a link to the newspaper?
It certainly takes away from space that is usually used to vilify Republicans, the military, capitalism, and those who achieve something in life. :D

- Carl

CdwJava

Okay. I read it.

If you were arrested - as the article says - then they can keep it up as long as they want.

Perhaps it is a fitting warning for others who might wish to engage in such activity on campus?

You may not like it, but aside from a letter to the paper requesting they take it down, there really is no recourse.

- Carl

mrgonzo

Hey shorecc,

Yeah, I read the article. First, like everyone here has already said, if its newsworthy, there is nothing you can do LEGALLY. so on to other tactics.

I had a doctor come to my firm a few months ago who was all over Google for malpractice several years ago - there was nothing that we could do for him. About the best that you could do is pay a marketing firm to build websites littered with your name or try it yourself and hope those sites outrank the quadrangle newspapers article - which may be an issue, since they are a PR6 Google Rank.

I did notice that when I googled each of your names only two names came up number one in google and one came up number three, so only three of you show up high in the rankings.

I do agree with you that its a bit ridiculous for them to still have the August issue online, when they claim to be a weekly newspaper. Perhaps a heartfelt letter to the webmaster? This is not legal advice - but you may want to even pay a lawyer to write a BS letter to them threatening slander or whatever they can think up and perhaps it will work; I know if I was webmaster I would take your name down if I got a certified attorneys letter.

But overall time is in your favor, I imagine they will be taking your home page feature down soon. However - the article itself will probably NEVER be taken down and remain ranked in google. So if you are one of the three names ranked in google, I would try the disinformation campaign I mentioned; build SEVERAL websites or blogs and put your name in the title tag so they rank first.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is not legal advice - but you may want to even pay a lawyer to write a BS letter to them threatening slander or whatever they can think up and perhaps it will work; I know if I was webmaster I would take your name down if I got a certified attorneys letter.
Yeah...because newspapers LOVE it when attorneys try to stifle Freedom of the Press :rolleyes::rolleyes:

shorecc

Thank you very much for your replies. Luckily, I am not one of the three names that appear in Google, but if you typed my name AND manhattan college it shows up. I am quite surprised that the other 3 people's names is all it takes in Google. I would not be happy at all if I were one of them! The advertising campaign sounds like a good idea, and I appreciate everyones input. Have a nice day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">