• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

complexed mom in florida son arrested during raid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ms country girl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida

My son was visiting a friend of his house and the police raided the house and took everyone to jail, and charged them with felony amounts of marjuana, even though this was an 18 year old guy who had pounds of week, 10,000 in cash. My son was just there sleeping.. Can this charge stick? He is already on mis probation for weed/ this was his first month and will a public defender be as good as a paid lawyer?

JETX

Can this charge stick?
Of course it can. Will it?? Depends on far more than you know.... or we are being told.

He is already on mis probation for weed/ this was his first month
So, when the court told him that one of the conditions of his probation is that he stay away from drugs or drug users.... he didn't??

and will a public defender be as good as a paid lawyer?
Depends on who the lawyer is.

ms country girl

yes, he was on probation and not to be about intoxicants

I just feel bad because he nor i had no idea that if someone's house was raided, and you were just there, that they could charge everyone with the felonly amount of marijuana, when they other guy was clearly the one dealing . He goes for arraignment next week, and the public defender hasn't even talked to him, he has been in jail for three weeks now. He has a low average iq, bipolar, anti-social, adhd and other label they put on him. He has a hard time making friends and look at the one friend he had he may serve prision time for! Talk about life not being fair!

slwx

not a legal expert -- and not in florida

i have a son with some of the same issues. in fact, when he was 18 the one night in his whole life he decided to go out & hang with a friend instead of hanging at home, they were stupid and got a possession charge. he even said he knew they were being stupid, but he went along with what his friend wanted to do.

do they have a mental health court in florida? that might be a good option if they do. get him into treatment (if he's not already) and some help instead of punishment?

(my son has learning disorders and major depression with psychotic features, general anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder -- he has a hard time making friends too)

JETX

i have a son with some of the same issues. in fact, when he was 18 the one night in his whole life he decided to go out & hang with a friend instead of hanging at home, they were stupid and got a possession charge.
And if you believe it was just 'one night'.... I have some land in southern Florida to sell you.

he has a hard time making friends too)
Unless there are drugs involved??

slwx

And if you believe it was just 'one night'.... I have some land in southern Florida to sell you.

Unless there are drugs involved??
my son has an extreme case of social anxiety -- plus some other issues.
i know that it was only one night -- because all of his other nights are spent at home -- and i'm home as well. so is his father.
the friend he went out with -- he's been friends with since kindergarten -- i'm sure it didn't start off as a "drug friendship".

so -- yes -- he's 20 and i can say that except for one night of his life he wanted to ride around with a friend -- he has been right here with us. he has a couple friends that come over -- and that's it. he is trying to take a class or two at the local college -- can't make it through the classes because he begins to "hear" people whispering about him. not quite hearing voices -- but close enough -- it's anxiety driven to paranoia which qualifies him as being psychotic. and --yes -- he is and has been in treatment for years. some days it works well, other days not so much.

it's sad -- but true. every weekend night when other kids are out having a good time or getting into trouble, he's here.

i wonder what he will do as the two friends he has from school continue through college and move on with their lives. maybe he'll just be friendless and people like you can make fun of him?

has he tried drugs? yes he has -- hell, if i went through the mental torture he goes through on a daily basis, maybe i'd be on drugs too. did it start out with drugs? the first time we saw problems was in third grade -- i'm pretty sure he wasn't on drugs at the time. each time he's hit a crisis and we considered hospitalization, we've had him drug tested as well so that we would know exactly what he might be using that he wasn't telling us about -- and he's either came up clean or been completely honest about them up front.

is there no compassion on this site? or does everyone here make up their minds about everyone based on stereotypes?

i was just trying to offer a little advice to the OT from another mother who has a son with some issues that complicates things.

when my son got the possession charge, i didn't make any excuses with the court about his mental illness or anything else. we hired a reputable lawyer and he took the consequences without excuses. thankfully, it did not require jail time as i'm sure that would have led to another psychotic break and probably an inpatient stay.

i truely hope that no one in your family is ever touched my mental illness.

i guess it's people like you that make him so afraid of people in general. i like to think that most people are nice and helpful and mean no harm -- then i come across someone like you and i'm proven wrong.

Last edited:

Antigone*

my son has an extreme case of social anxiety -- plus some other issues.
i know that it was only one night -- because all of his other nights are spent at home -- and i'm home as well. so is his father.
the friend he went out with -- he's been friends with since kindergarten -- i'm sure it didn't start off as a "drug friendship".

so -- yes -- he's 20 and i can say that except for one night of his life he wanted to ride around with a friend -- he has been right here with us. he has a couple friends that come over -- and that's it. he is trying to take a class or two at the local college -- can't make it through the classes because he begins to "hear" people whispering about him. not quite hearing voices -- but close enough -- it's anxiety driven to paranoia which qualifies him as being psychotic. and --yes -- he is and has been in treatment for years. some days it works well, other days not so much.

it's sad -- but true. every weekend night when other kids are out having a good time or getting into trouble, he's here.

i wonder what he will do as the two friends he has from school continue through college and move on with their lives. maybe he'll just be friendless and people like you can make fun of him?

has he tried drugs? yes he has -- hell, if i went through the mental torture he goes through on a daily basis, maybe i'd be on drugs too. did it start out with drugs? the first time we saw problems was in third grade -- i'm pretty sure he wasn't on drugs at the time. each time he's hit a crisis and we considered hospitalization, we've had him drug tested as well so that we would know exactly what he might be using that he wasn't telling us about -- and he's either came up clean or been completely honest about them up front.

is there no compassion on this site? or does everyone here make up their minds about everyone based on stereotypes?

i was just trying to offer a little advice to the OT from another mother who has a son with some issues that complicates things.

when my son got the possession charge, i didn't make any excuses with the court about his mental illness or anything else. we hired a reputable lawyer and he took the consequences without excuses. thankfully, it did not require jail time as i'm sure that would have led to another psychotic break and probably an inpatient stay.

i truely hope that no one in your family is ever touched my mental illness.

i guess it's people like you that make him so afraid of people in general. i like to think that most people are nice and helpful and mean no harm -- then i come across someone like you and i'm proven wrong.
It sounds to me like you are hijacking this mother's thread. If you have issues of your own, start your own thread

slwx

i was offering advice to the OT -- then got slammed -- and felt obligated to defend myself. i don't have an issue that needs attention.

did not mean to hijack, but i see how it looks and i apologize for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">