• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concealed Items?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NJ

This weekend I went to a local mall and visited a discount store, buying about $100 of items, one of which was an athletic bag. Last night at home, I opened the bag to prepare for tonight's visit to the gym and discovered a woman's blouse (way too small for me) and two baby bibs in the bag (I don't have children yet). I immediately called the manager at the store and told her what I discovered. She suggested that I return the items to the store, which I am planning to do tonight.

We had no reason to believe anything was in the gym bag, which I why we didn't check it in the store. Do I have anything to worry about? I'd hate to end up in the pokey for less than $20 of merchandise.

JETX

I doubt that you would have anything to worry about. Especially since you inititiated the contact on returning the items.

R

robking

Go ahead and return the items. This is a good thing for you to do, and no-one there will ever think you stole them.
But it would be more helpful, and (don't be offended if they ask you for) if you bring and show them your reciept.
These things happen. Someone else may have been planning on stealing the items, or someone may have just put them in there to carrry around the store while shopping and then decided not to buy them.
The cashiers in most store are suppose to check in ALL bags, boxes, etc. etc, as they ring them up for the customers. Normally they would do this and just say something like there making sure the zipper works, so not to offend anyone.
It would be helpful to the store to see your reciept, so they can see who the cashier was that rang you out, so they can re-train her, before they lose alot more then just a few items.
I've seen people with items hidden in other items that they are purchasing, and one with even over $1,000 of hidden merchandise.

R

robking

I remember along time ago, one retail store even had a program, where they hide these Little Cards in items like sports bags, purses, etc., etc., on the card it would have instructions.
If found be a cashier, the cashier would get some sort of reward. And if a customer found it when they got it home, the customer would call the number on the card, give the information on their reciept, and they would get like a $100.00 gift card mailed to them.

robking said:
Go ahead and return the items. This is a good thing for you to do, and no-one there will ever think you stole them.
But it would be more helpful, and (don't be offended if they ask you for) if you bring and show them your reciept.
These things happen. Someone else may have been planning on stealing the items, or someone may have just put them in there to carrry around the store while shopping and then decided not to buy them.
The cashiers in most store are suppose to check in ALL bags, boxes, etc. etc, as they ring them up for the customers. Normally they would do this and just say something like there making sure the zipper works, so not to offend anyone.
It would be helpful to the store to see your reciept, so they can see who the cashier was that rang you out, so they can re-train her, before they lose alot more then just a few items.
I've seen people with items hidden in other items that they are purchasing, and one with even over $1,000 of hidden merchandise.
Thanks to you all! The process was extremely painless, and the customer service clerk who accepted back the items commented on my honesty. (I think she too was under the impression that someone might have been trying to stash the items.) Aw shucks ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">